Difference between Economics and Commerce? (1 Viewer)

05er

HSC
Apart from compulsory units of study, what's the big difference between these two subjects and why does one need a higher UAI than the other?

nedzelic

HSC
05er said:
Apart from compulsory units of study, what's the big difference between these two subjects and why does one need a higher UAI than the other?
at most places, economics isn't a whole degree; it's a major/minor with the b comm. within b comm you can major in like 10 different things; one being economics

05er

HSC
Most places? Like all of the top 8? I don't think so.

I know Economics is a maj/min within BComm but why do some universities feel it's important enough to deserve its own degree?

HSC
N/A
because it is an entirely fucking different discipline?

Economics is a social science, and you are encouraged to do another social science major in that.

Commerce serves a very different function: you are encouraged to do business majors.

jpr333

HSC
You have to major in economics if you do economics, that's the big difference.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
to put it simply:

b eco:
(in usyd at least) u HAVE to major in eco, there's no other way... u can pick a minor i believe

b comm:
u can pick ANY major in comm faculty... including eco... which means if u do b comm, u can pretty much be a b eco student, but NOT vice versa

phrred

HSC
this is kind of off the topic but do B Ec have to do accounting 1A 1B as core courses in first year at usyd

HSC
N/A
can you fcuking read?

someone earlier on posted a link to the course scheme.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ACCOUNTING BECAUSE IT IS NOT A CORE UNIT IN ECONOMICS.

Core units offered in this course

* ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
* ECMT1020 Business and Economic Statistics B
* ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics
* ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hmmm it's weird... i know from the website it doesn't have to... but a friend in acct tute who does b eco said her degree needs acct...

maybe it's the major she does which require acct

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
well speaking of that very subject....i might just miss out on a b/commerce so as an alternative should i pick economics rather than go to amother less 'prestige' uni like macquarie or sumthin(also its too dam far away)...because i want to do accounting so by majoring in accounting will that be enough for recognition for CPA/CA programs??

HSC
getting a CA/CPA recognition will require you to do subjects outside the acct major itself.
i just so happen to have the subjects infront of me, so ill list them.

ACCT1001
ACCT1002
ECON1001
ECON1002
ECMT1010
CLAW1001
CLAW2201
CLAW3201
ACCT2011
ACCT2012
ACCT3011
ACCT3012
FINC2011
ACCT3014
INFS1005

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
because it is an entirely fucking different discipline?

Economics is a social science, and you are encouraged to do another social science major in that.

Commerce serves a very different function: you are encouraged to do business majors.
Is it possible, to your knowlege, to do Arts/commerce and only do political economy/international relations etc. (ie no (or not many) business type subjects)? Why isn't there an Arts/economics combined degree? Are they considered too similar?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
But then again, why do commerce if you want to study the social sciences?
i originally was more interested in the social sciences than solid commerce stuff but edged toward a commerce degree for the job prospects thing (i was just out of the HSC and had no idea about anything so this was from listening to others) and also cos eco/soc sc, b int and stuff looked wishy washy compared to the "commerce" tag. I don't think that anymore exactly but a few of my friends back then shared my viewpoint too. It was a common mentality amongst us :confused:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
I asked that very question to the university :)

The reply was "yeah, we might get around to that....*yawn*".

if you want to do mainly arts and political science and economic units, consider B International Studies or Eco (Soc Sci).

Basically, you can fit that type of studies in to those two degrees mentioned previously.

As for the doing commerce: yeah. as long as you do the course req units, you can do mainly traditional arts (the social sciences) in your commerce portion of the degree.

But then again, why do commerce if you want to study the social sciences?
yeah, I know. I'd choose international studies or economics and social sciences without a second thought. But I'm in a bind. I recieved a USYD entry scholarship for the faculty of arts. Which means I must do a degree offered by the arts faculty in order to get the scholarship (5000 dollars). So anyway, I'm bassically trying to figure out a way to do international studies without actually doing a bachelor of international studies. ha ha... I might just transfer after 1st year... I'm thinking arts (languages), because I'll be able to transfer language credit unit thingys to international studies.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
you can do it in a generic B Arts as well :)

Just take

Ecop 1001
Govt 1105
Ecop 1003
Govt 1202

and you are set to transfer to Int Studies after first year (you would have done the same subjects as us)
ahhh... right. Well that sounds feasible. Thanks for the information!

cimbom

HSC
Be careful with ecop1003... it's only available to B.International Studies students as part of your major in political economy, if that's what you want to do.

If you don't get the transfer to b.international studies, and you still want to major in ecop, you have to take another 1000- level unit like 'economy and policy', ecop1002... to move onto the senior units of study, which is what i'm doing because i don't know if i'll be able to transfer out of b.economics into b.int.stud. ecop1003 seems much more interesting than ecop1002, but i don't want to risk it.

There's arts/economics at UNSW. But not at usyd :(. With b.economic and social sciences... if you major in political economy over economics, you still have to 'minor' in economics- like, take maybe two subjects- which includes econ and ecmt. i think. And the core units of study for b.commerce include a subject/s from business information systems; which requires maths ext1 as assumed knowledge i think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)