Difference between Evaluate and Assess? (1 Viewer)

iStudent

HSC
Hi

Assess: Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size
Evaluate: Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of

Don't these two terms basically ask for the same thing? (for humanity/science subjects)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hi

Assess: Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size
Evaluate: Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of

Don't these two terms basically ask for the same thing? (for humanity/science subjects)
I think evaluate is "one level" higher than assess. Assessing something is making a general judgement (I.e. Assess the probability the world will end, the world will not end because x,y,z). Whereas evaluating is taking to the next level, where you have to DETERMINE THE VALUE (I.e. Evaluate the probability of the world ending, the world will not end, due to lack of solid evidence that supports this notion, I.e. Mayan beliefs are centred around extremely subjective values, which inaccurately bla bla bla) of the giving criteria, whereas you're only making a judgement on the criteria given (if that makes sense).

Often, evaluate assesses the accuracy of what you're given, hence the difference. Assess does it to a lesser and more implicit degree. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, although the two terms both requires the individual to make a judgment, but I think there is still a very slight, but important difference between these two terms. I will use two 2012 HSC chemistry questions to illustrate my point a bit better:

An 'ASSESS' question:
Question 33: Chemists can assist in reversing or minimising the environmental problems caused by technology and the human demand for products and services. With reference to this statement ASSESS the need for chemists to collaborate when monitoring the environmental impact of a named electrochemical cell. (6 marks)

Marking criteria for the top band response:
-Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of the identified roles of chemists and the environmental impact of a correctly named electrochemical cell
- Assesses the need for collaboration between chemists

- Demonstrates coherence and logical progression of ideas with correct scientific terminology used

An "EVALUATE" question:

Option topic: Shipwrecks and Corrosion
Question 35 e): Critically EVALUATE the continued use of steel in ship building with reference to the history of ocean-going vessels, the composition of steel and ways in which its interaction with the environment can be controlled. (7 marks)

Marking criteria for the top band response:
-Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of the history of ocean-going vessels, the composition of types of steel and methods of preventing corrosion
- Provides a judgment about the use of steel for ship building in light of these concepts

-Writes logically, providing a coherent progression of ideas

This may not be super evident in the bolded points of the marking criteria I have highlighted, but if you have a look at the sample answers for the relevant questions in this link:http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...s/pdf_doc/chemistry-hsc-sample-answers-12.pdf and reread each question, you will see essentially:

-in an assess question-YOU NEED to make up the criteria/the points against which you will formulate your judgment on, for example, 'what type of chemists are you going to focus on? What cell are you going to focus on? Are you going to focus on the impact of the production of the cell? the disposal of the cell? the usage of the cell? or all three? after you formulate such a criteria, and then you make a judgment based on your OWN CRITERIA

-in an evaluate question, the CRITERIA is already provided in the question-i.e. the history of vessels, the composition of steel, interaction with a salty, marine environment-you just need to address these criteria and come up with an overall judgment.

Hope this helps:)

iStudent

HSC
I think evaluate requires exactly the same depth as assess. In other words, both involving discussing then judging.

Also Strawberrye, does this mean assess and evaluate are the same words for different questions? e.g. you get asked "assess the impact on the development of new technologies of scientists being able to manipulate electrons", but never "evaluate the impact on the development of new technologies of scientists being able to manipulate electrons"

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't say it is 'never' you get asked a question a certain way, because different exam authors will adhere to the prescribed definitions of what the main verbs used in exam mean-they may not be as strict as HSC exam authors, and often, these two words are interchangeable in an exam context, the fine distinction is only really made in trials or HSC exams more evidently. But yes, evaluate normally requires the same depth as assess-but as you will notice, it also depends on the marks a question have, obviously you will go slightly deeper if the question is of higher marks. So basically structure your answer on the MARKS that is allocated to the question as well as THE VERB of the question.

iStudent

HSC
I see, so they're basically fancy ways of asking the same thing. Damn board of studies for making things confusing :(

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)