Difference between mblg1001 & mblg1901 (1 Viewer)

-o-

HSC
N/A
Biol1903 had the extra independent project, and lectures/pracs were the same as 1003, but what's the difference between mblg1001 & 1901?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Science Handbook said:
MBLG1901 Molecular Biology and Genetics (Adv)

Credit points: 6 Teacher/Coordinator: Dr Dale Hancock Session: Semester 2 Classes: Two 1-hour lectures per week; one 1-hour tutorial and one 4-hour practical per fortnight; four 1-hour seminars per semester. Prerequisites: UAI (or ATAR equivalent) of 95 or minimum Band 5 in HSC chemistry and biology or by invitation Prohibitions: MBLG1001 Assumed knowledge: HSC Chemistry and Biology OR 6 credit points of Junior Biology and 6 credit points of Junior Chemistry Assessment: One 2.5-hour exam, in-semester skills test and assignments (100%) Associated degrees: B A, B A (Adv)(Hons), M B B S, B App Sc (Ex &Sp Sc), B Sc (Nutr), B E, B Med Sc, B Sc, B Sc (Molecular Biology & Genetics), B Sc (Molecular Biotechnology), B Sc (Nutrition), UG Study Abroad Program.

The lectures in this unit of study introduce the "Central Dogma" of molecular biology and genetics, i.e., the molecular basis of life. The course begins with the information macro-molecules in living cells: DNA,RNA and protein, and explores how their structures allow them to fulfill their various biological roles. This is followed by a review of how DNA is organised into genes leading to discussion of replication and gene expression (transcription and translation). The unit concludes with an introduction to the techniques of molecular biology and, in particular, how these techniques have led to an explosion of interest and research in Molecular Biology. The practical component complements the lectures by exposing students to experiments which explore the measurement of enzyme activity, the isolation of DNA and the 'cutting' of DNA using restriction enzymes. However,a key aim of the practicals is to give students higher level generic skills in computing, communication, criticism, data analysis/evaluation and experimental design. The advanced component is designed for students interested in continuing in molecular biology. It consists of 7 advanced lectures (replacing 7 regular lectures) and 3 advanced laboratory sessions (replacing 3 regular practical classes). The advanced lectures will focus on the experiments which led to key discoveries in molecular biology. The advanced practical sessions will give students the opportunity to explore alternative molecular biology experimental techniques. Attendance at MBLG1999 seminars is strongly encouraged.
Might want to check this with someone who has done the subject though.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You sit a different exam to MBLG1001 because it incorporates the Adv lecture components/Adv prac components. The Adv content is more holistic look at MBLG processes. The in common components are some lecture material and some of the basic pracs (to learn calcs and fundamental MBLG techniques) are the same. It's a similar assessment structure, but what you do the fortnightly reports you will be writing up a slightly modified experiment.

I believe the prac exam was the same because it focused on the core techniques of the labs.

I would say it is a relatively difficult subject to other first year biologies no matter what level you choose to take.

bangladesh

HSC
You sit a different exam to MBLG1001 because it incorporates the Adv lecture components/Adv prac components. The Adv content is more holistic look at MBLG processes. The in common components are some lecture material and some of the basic pracs (to learn calcs and fundamental MBLG techniques) are the same. It's a similar assessment structure, but what you do the fortnightly reports you will be writing up a slightly modified experiment.

I believe the prac exam was the same because it focused on the core techniques of the labs.

I would say it is a relatively difficult subject to other first year biologies no matter what level you choose to take.
Is it better to take advanced or normal? May i ask which one you took and how you found it?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it better to take advanced or normal? May i ask which one you took and how you found it?
I took MBLG1901.

As a diligent student as I believe you are, you may as well take MBLG1901. If you are keen to apply yourself in MBLG, you will more likely get more out 1901 because you will have a less crowded prac and more chance to ask your tutor if they are good about MBLG things. It's not one of those subjects where the massive divide in the work content makes you question your sanity for electing for a 19XX unit lol.

I found the final challenging (but not woefully so), but that was my doing, I should have been more diligent on the finer details. (I think it requires that eye for smaller picture detail than the other 3 jnr bio units demand).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)