Difference between Med and Adv Science for Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
Medical science prepares you better for the GAMSAT as it covers a range of majors which will be tested in GAMSAT. Med science is almost a dead end degree if you don't get into a graduate course unless you choose to do honours etc.

Adv Science may prepare you less well for the GAMSAT and medicine depending on your choice of majors. Chemistry, physics and physiology probably prepares you best for the GAMSAT.

How do I know this? I've been there done that.

Regarding job security for medicine? It's not that great anymore, some doctors aren't finding a job now in urban areas. And training and qualifications have gotten exponentially harder considering you are competing with very capable individuals.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Medical science prepares you better for the GAMSAT as it covers a range of majors which will be tested in GAMSAT. Med science is almost a dead end degree if you don't get into a graduate course unless you choose to do honours etc.

Adv Science may prepare you less well for the GAMSAT and medicine depending on your choice of majors. Chemistry, physics and physiology probably prepares you best for the GAMSAT.

How do I know this? I've been there done that.

Regarding job security for medicine? It's not that great anymore, some doctors aren't finding a job now in urban areas. And training and qualifications have gotten exponentially harder considering you are competing with very capable individuals.
This is defs not true. If anything advanced science is better preparation for gamsat than medsci (At usyd anyway) because second year medsci units seem to cover a whole lot of knowledge and just touch on areas and not go in depth where as advanced science is much more thorough given you study gamsat-relevant units.
As for job opportunities, while i do agree that it's a quite hard to get a job with a medsci degree, there is definitely pathways open for you if you put in the effort.

I do agree with the rest tho.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Is that what it equates to? shettttt I feel good
haha nah, I meant he had an atar of 98.95 or .75 - if they considered that (not sure).

But you should defs be happy with a 6.7 plus gpa in med sci/science though. Pretty good!

Medman

HSC
This is defs not true. If anything advanced science is better preparation for gamsat than medsci (At usyd anyway) because second year medsci units seem to cover a whole lot of knowledge and just touch on areas and not go in depth where as advanced science is much more thorough given you study gamsat-relevant units.
As for job opportunities, while i do agree that it's a quite hard to get a job with a medsci degree, there is definitely pathways open for you if you put in the effort.

I do agree with the rest tho.
Only if you major in chemistry in second year I agree. Otherwise medical science helps better prep you but it also depends on which majors you take up in your advance science degree which I mentioned above. I didn't pick anatomy, physiology which would have definitely helped in the biology aspect of the GAMSAT. My science degree helped me only ever so slightly in the GAMSAT. Chemistry, physics, physiology, anatomy I studied on my own. I've done the GAMSAT twice so I would think I would know what the content covers. My first try was without studying and my science degree didn't help that much I think I ended up with 58.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Only if you major in chemistry in second year I agree. Otherwise medical science helps better prep you but it also depends on which majors you take up in your advance science degree which I mentioned above. I didn't pick anatomy, physiology which would have definitely helped in the biology aspect of the GAMSAT. My science degree helped me only ever so slightly in the GAMSAT. Chemistry, physics, physiology, anatomy I studied on my own. I've done the GAMSAT twice so I would think I would know what the content covers. My first try was without studying and my science degree didn't help that much I think I ended up with 58.
lol didnt u do undergrad?

Medman

HSC
oh right, must've gotten it mixed up soz
Nw. I majored in Biochemistry and Microbiology and did first year Chemistry and did second year Immunology and Genetics. I remember clearly only 1 or 2 questions on Immunology and the rest were second year Chemistry, Physics (they say year 12 but I did physics in year 12 and didn't see anything familiar probably at least first year uni level) and mainly Physiology. So doing my science degree didn't help me in the exact knowledge of questions per say but doing a science degree definitely makes studying GAMSAT a lot easier.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Nw. I majored in Biochemistry and Microbiology and did first year Chemistry and did second year Immunology and Genetics. I remember clearly only 1 or 2 questions on Immunology and the rest were second year Chemistry, Physics (they say year 12 but I did physics in year 12 and didn't see anything familiar probably at least first year uni level) and mainly Physiology. So doing my science degree didn't help me in the exact knowledge of questions per say but doing a science degree definitely makes studying GAMSAT a lot easier.
I think doing any degree (except arts) would make it easier because you learn that you need to study more and you have more xp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)