difference between PMT n PV on calc. (1 Viewer)

Haks

HSC
hey,
with annuites, sometimes i get confused when to use PMT and PV. Can someone explain the difference to me plz.

Also, where is the degrees, minutes, seconds button on the graphics?
thanks

PC

HSC
N/A
Degrees, minutes and seconds
Make sure you're in the normal run mode, then press [OPTN] [F6] [F5]

If you're trying to enter an angle in degrees and minutes, then [F4] will do the trick.
For example 54°12', you need to press 54 [F4] 12 [F4].

If you're trying to convert an answer into degrees and minutes (or even hours and minutes), then press [F5] - in fact you'll see something appear above F5 when you get you're answer.
For example, enter 20.5 and press [EXE]. Then press [F5] and you'll get 20°30'.

If all that stuff at the bottom of the screen disappears, then just press [OPTN] [F6] [F5] to bring it all back again!

Annuities and Loans
Use PMT when you're trying to find the monthly repayment for a loan or the monthly contribution for an annuity. Remember that with with loans, PV is always the amount of the loan, and enter it as a negative value into your calculator.

Use PV when you need to find the Present Value of an annuity. For example, if you make regular monthly payments of $30 at 10% for 3 years, you'll have to contribute 30 x 12 x 3 = $1080. On the other hand you might be able to invest a certain SINGLE amount NOW as a compound interest account and get to the same final balance. The amount you need to invest is called the Present Value. In this example, it would be $929.74.

So you can invest $929.74 now and start reaping in all the interest.
Or you can invest $30 per month and get only a little bit of interest to start with, then a bit more, then a bit more. So you will have to invest more yourself (a total of $1080) to get to the final balance.

Does this help, or have I confused you even more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)