Difference between Science, and Adv. Science degrees (1 Viewer)

Luminance

HSC
N/A
Hi BoS'ers. I'm currently enrolled in the Advanced Mathematics program, combined with Commerce (course code 3523). Since enrolments for next semester are fast approaching, there are a few concerns which plague my mind. That is; are there significant differences in employability between a B Commerce/Science(mathematics) and B Commerce/Science (adv. mathematics) graduate, majoring in Statistics for Maths and Finance for Commerce?

When choosing between the two, there are a few issues that need to be considered:

1) The adv.mathematics program requires a honours year to receive full accreditation; meaning a 5-year program (for Comm/Advanced Maths), and 4-year program (for Comm/science).

2) I have been led to believe that the normal mathematics courses are easier than their adv.mathematics counterparts. Would this mean that it would be easier to achieve higher marks in normal Mathematics, than Advanced Mathetmatics?

So my question is: if I am already pursuing a commerce degree, would the extra accreditation from Adv. Mathematics outweigh the negatives of an extra year of study, and potentially higher marks
from the Science(Mathematics) degree?

HSC
N/A
First comment. The difference is really between a pass maths degree and an honours maths degree. The honours degree contains significantly more maths, not just because of the extra year of study. Lots of the maths courses are run at two levels, Higher and Ordinary. Entry basically depends on how you have gone in earlier maths courses, not on which degree you are enrolled in. If you aren't doing well enough to satisfy the entry requirements for the higher courses they'll bump you out of the Higher program.

The Higher courses are harder, but the marks are scaled. In some courses the marks are capped at say 90 in the ordinary course. It is easier to pass the ordinary courses but harder to get a very high mark.

This really depends on what sort of job you want. If you are interested in a serious quant role then you need the extra maths...but you'd better love doing the maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)