Difference between Validity and Accuracy (1 Viewer)

tonysoprano

HSC
Can somebody distinguish between the two?

I hear people contradicting themselves when they try to explain it, and I want a definite answer of the difference.

Thanks

123ryoma12

HSC
Basically validity is if what you're doing is correct.
Validity in first hand investigations
A valid experiment is a fair test (one variable is changed at a time). A method is valid if:
- It investigates what you think it will investigate. The procedure tests the hypothesis and the experiment includes and appropriate range of values.
- It incorporates suitable equipment
- Variable are controlled
- Appropriate measuring procedures are included.
Validity in secondary sources
Validity – To determine if the information you are gathering is valid, you must consider or evaluate whether the information relates to the problem or hypothesis being investigated.

Basically accuracy is whether your information is correct.
Accuracy for first-hand investigations
Results are accurate if they are close to the true value of the quantity being measured. And if they are consistent with secondary sources.
For secondary sources (Online researching)
Accuracy for secondary sources
To determine if the information you are gathering is accurate, you must consider or evaluate whether the information can is consistent in more than one reliable source. This means that if you can find similar information in at least two valid and reliable sources, then your information could be considered accurate.

Flop21

HSC
Validity - control variables controlled etc. and hypothesis is being tested (good example is in bio test they had an experiment where they put plants on mountains, and obviously because they are outside not all variables would have been controlled, wind, rain etc.).

Accuracy - is to do with the equipment (e.g. measuring cylinder > beaker).

I know those are poor answers, but I will post a sheet I have on this later (have to find it because I threw it out).

Mr_Kap

HSC
Can somebody distinguish between the two?

I hear people contradicting themselves when they try to explain it, and I want a definite answer of the difference.

Thanks
In an experiment:

Validity refers if you meet the aim of your experiment. This involves controlling variables (apart from the independent variable), having a control in some cases (usually in biology experiments), minimising all systematic errors and random errors (by taking multiple measurements to get rid of outliers, as you can't have valid results without results being reiliable...so yes BEING RELIABLE is needed to be valid).

Accuracy - How 'correct' /exact you're results are. Can be improved by using better equipment and avoiding human errors like parallax and usually by having a valid experiment.

In DATA SOURCES:

Validity: Valid if the source is trustworthy --> check authors for credentials, and contains relevant info etc.....also needs to be reliable again to be valid...
Reliability: Reliable if the information found in the source is found in other sources.
Accuracy: Whether the information is actually CORRECT. Usually a valid source will usually contain ACURRATE information but not always. Just because you have a PHD doesn't mean you can't make a mistake.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)