Difference of jurisdiction of federal court and circuit court? (1 Viewer)

happy10

HSC
I don’t understand what the jurisdiction of each are and if it is different. Please explain. Also how much detail do I need to know of the federal court jurisdiction? Is it more just the state courts? Thanks

Last edited:

tklawl

HSC
N/A
Although I've never ever seen a question where they've even mentioned the Federal Circuit Court, the Federal Court is above the Federal Circuit Court in terms of hierarchy.

The Circuit Court looks over matters broadly relating to family law, administrative law, human rights, migration, privacy, usually copyright laws and consumer law.

The Federal Court looks at most of the previous areas of the law BUT also looks at summary criminal matters. The Federal Court has appellate jurisdiction from the Circuit Court on all the previous areas (except family law) - should a family law matter be appealed (from the Circuit Court), the Family Court has jurisdiction.

Imagine the Circuit Court as a civil-matter-only court and the Federal Court as an older brother who looks over everything that gets too big.

The main courts you should know are: local, district, state, supreme, federal, high, coroner's court and the criminal court of appeal. (of course each option has its own courts that you must also know).

Forgive me if anything is incorrect, but as long as you know the main courts, you will probably be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)