Differences between medical schools- PCL vs. PBL etc. (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ishq said:
(Tell more! I've always wondered what anatomy lessons are like.......)
At Newcastle, straight anatomy subjects are not compulsory for med students (at least not in first year), although its highly recommended they do it as their elective (which is sem 1, year 1); once you get further on in your studies its just assumed you know what they're talking about

If they do anatomy as their elective, its musculoskeletal anatomy. What happens is we have 3 hours worth of lectures a week, one lecture might be on the shoulder, the next the arm, then elbow, then forearm, then wrist/hand, then nerves/blood vessels of the upper limb. We then have 1 hour of labs a week, with cadavers, which is no where near enough time, its expected/assumed we will go into the lab in our own time and go over everything again.

Its basically all the muscles and bones of the body in 14 weeks. Lovely, huh.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
I however knew that spending 6 hours a week doing HUBS would be a serious waste of time

So i did maths XD

finished exams last tuesday, the guys who did hubs finished today hehehehe

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Thats a choice you made, but all the med students further on in their degrees that I talk to that didn't do anatomy when they were given the chance highly regret it.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
hmm i guess i'll have to wait and see
but it's not like it's going to seriously limit my learning or anything, i can always read up on those stuff later when i need to...

but i see your point

ishq

brown?
HSC
inasero said:
lol if anybody gets into Monash I'm sure they should shout me a drink seeing how much time I take up posting info about my course lol...yes I'm looking at you too ishq!
inasero, I'll shout breakfast, lunch and dinner. For a week.
:D:D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
im holding you guys to your word!
modding is a thankless task :rolleyes:

Kezmedfcuk

hmmm, it's kinda interesting to hear about other Universities method of teaching. cool.

Kinda a bit off topic, but thought I'd mention it anyway...Was talking to some 4th and 5th years from UNSW, and they said their university was quite stingy in terms of helping them out financially with placements and what not.
I can only compare with Monash, but when I mentioned to them that for our rural week(s) in the year, our accomodation, transport, food, etc is all provided, and we also get spending money for food as well (Eg we get $75 for less than a week in 1st year), they were quite jealous that they didn't get any of that.
Just curious if that's actually the case if there are any UNSW meddies here.

Catchya.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
they are... adel we got given food, accommodation and snack money... and a real nice dinner at the hotel and bowling night and taxi.. about $50-60 extra... for rural week

honestly.. my mate and I got trashed then started to rip up cold chiesal @ the pub karaoke..... was fun..

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
sorry! I deleted the file off my comp and I can't be bothered scanning again.

Somebody please post up the file again for the benefit of Cziffra and the like! Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)