differences between nuclear and cyclotron (1 Viewer)

Ihatemyschooleh

HSC
hey whats the difference between nuclear reactors and cyclotrons. and all the info on cyclotrons on the internet is too detailed, anyone care to explain simply to me? THANKS yall

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
put SIMPLY: cyclotron = particle accelerator

in nuclear reactor: neutrons are ADDED to the atom
in cyclotron: two atoms are combined

once again this is IN SIMPLE TERMS!!!!!

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well im no expert in the area (i didn do physics for the HSC, and so i am probably missing/warping some of the specifics =S lol),,,,and once again these are simple, limited explanations:
in the nuclear reactor: neutrons are added to a specifice atom, this atom will then radioactively decay to form a new substance
in the cyclotron: two atoms are accelerated and fired at each other, when they hit they combine with each other, once again forming a new substance

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
and what happens in a nuclear reactor is just fission right?
Yep. Nuclei are made to hit the target nuclei and in this way combine with the target nuclei - they are actually slow neutrons as fast neutrons would zoom straight past the target nucleir and would not be captured.

In Cyclotrons, magents of alternating polarity are used to accelerate a charged particle and directed (through following the shape of a spiral/cyclone hence the name) to collide into an accelerated target nuclei. This causes a new particle to be formed. A cyclotron, as Gusssssssssssss said is a type of particle accelerator.

If you want to know more about it, pick up a HSC physics text book and flick to the quanta section :)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
annabackwards to the rescue =P
Only because you didn't do physics :p

Oh and i suggest that you don't say cyclotron specifically for chemistry, just call them nuclear reactors and particle accelerators. This is because particle accelerators includes cyclotrons, synchrotrons, linear particle accelerators etc etc and you might have a strict marker who will only accept the term "particle accelerators" or you naming ALL of the main types of accelerators. It's better to be safe than sorry ;)

Monsterman

HSC
This shouldnt need to know this for the hsc chemistry.... only for physics..
only generally

Ihatemyschooleh

HSC
u do, cos u need to kno bout developing isotopes and stuff in cyclotrons, etc... neyways thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)