Differentiating between aims and purpose (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

lol they are same!! there isn't a different between aim and purpose

Paroissien

HSC
That's what I always assumed, but I got shot down for not differentiating between them in the trial

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
isnt it...

Aim = aim of the historian ie what they are trying to do by writing history, why they are writing and who for
Purpose = purpose of history ie why do we have history? What is the value of history? why do we study the past?

dunno, maybe it's the other way round *shrugs*

R

randhi

are you serious!! thats so dodgy, my teacher always told me that they were same and told me to stick to one of them!!

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
callisto is right, to an extent.
the aim of history is what history is trying to achieve.
the purpose of history is why it is there, what use it serves.

usually a quote for one will be able to be used as a quote for another. dont worry about it too much.

Paroissien

HSC
I'm just worried that the question will specifically ask about aims and perspective, because as I said above, this fucked me over in the trials

R

randhi

oh i know what you mean!!! i screwed it up pretty bad too, but hopefully know that iknow the different between them i can actually distinguish what the hell i'm doing.....no i take that back, i have no idea....

ThePix

tWiStEdD said:
callisto is right, to an extent.
the aim of history is what history is trying to achieve.
the purpose of history is why it is there, what use it serves.

usually a quote for one will be able to be used as a quote for another. dont worry about it too much.
i doubt it could have been summed up any better!!!! bravo!

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
alongside that, another way to differentiate between aims and purposes is to examine an individual historian ie bede

he wrote history to record the events of the church (that was his purpose)
but in doing so he hoped to convert pagans to christianity (perhaps his aim)

also an aim isnt necessarily achieved (ie we have no idea whether bede converted pagans :) - prob not coz they were illiterate lol)

its a bit vague and wishy-washy - callistos explanation is better - but if u get asked the aims and purposes of an historian, remember they are slightly different

Last edited:

laracroft

all i no is that the purpose is ones intended result from effort, or the reason for which we do something
i got confused with this too , and i looke din the dictionary and under aim, it says purpose
so cant we safely say they are pretty much teh same>>

Acid

HSC
They did aims and purposes last year.. they're not gonna do it again this year...

Suspense

I hope it's not as specific as aims + purposes, although worse would be to get something like 2002 (or maybe it was 2001) asking to compare between your view and the source's, as well as looking at other historians.

Suspense

I doubt it. The history papers have been quite easy this year. Modern was straight forward, and I hear ancient was too. No need to go messing with the kids who do extension!

sigh

HSC
umm ancient included at least one question thats appeared twice before in the hsc... i only know of one, but there might have been more

and as for modern... THEY DIDN'T USE ANY OF THE VERBS FOR HALF THE QUESTIONS!!

ok sorry had my rant

all I'm saying is... the people who seyt these exams are either a) really really stupid and incompetent or b) completely sadistic

as it's the BOS i'd go with c) a lot from column a and a whoel heap from column b.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)