Differing perspectives of Ned Kelly - NEED HELP- (1 Viewer)

Stix06

HSC
hi,

I'm doing my major work on the differing perspectives of Ned Kelly. If anyone here knows anything about this subject please post your thoughts and other here. If you know any websites that deal with negative and positive perspectives of Ned kelly please post them here.

Do you think that national identity (eg English and Irish) influences the opinions towards Ned Kelly? I originally set out asking this because Ned was Irish and he was opposing predominantly British law but now I think I may leave this question since I don't think it does. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this

-ASH-

www.myspace.com/ash_stix

kcihc_kcor@hotmail.com

X

xeuyrawp

Stix06 said:
hi,

I'm doing my major work on the differing perspectives of Ned Kelly. If anyone here knows anything about this subject please post your thoughts and other here. If you know any websites that deal with negative and positive perspectives of Ned kelly please post them here.
What have you got so far? I've only read some things in relation to Kelly and history films....

Do you think that national identity (eg English and Irish) influences the opinions towards Ned Kelly? I originally set out asking this because Ned was Irish and he was opposing predominantly British law but now I think I may leave this question since I don't think it does. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this
I think national identity does influence opinions towards Kelly. People would now say that we're multicultural, don't have beefs with the Irish any longer, etc, but they forget that many opinions and sources come from an era when Irish were considered aliens.

The notion that the Irish brought dissent, anarchy, and a revolution with them could point towards the people of the time using Kelly as a mythological scapegoat. I say 'mythological' because Kelly could be argued to be the most predominent Australian mythological figure. That being said, the idyllic views of Kelly = the first real Aussie larrikin, filled with political and moral apathy (hardly what he was - perhaps a good question in historicity) could be a historical arch-reaction to the initial hatred towards him as representative of the Irish. Essentially, once we got over the anti-Irish attitude, Kelly turned into a popular hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stix06

HSC
hey thanks for the insight into nationa identity influencing the opinions towards Kelly. It is very helpful. I have a lot of stuff on positive perspectives and some negative perspectives. I'm also looking at the media portrayal of Ned Kelly. I've got old newspaper clippings around the time of kelly and I'm also looking at Ned Kelly the movie and maybe some other mediums that have represented him.

thanks again for the help with the Irish

X

xeuyrawp

I would look at all of the movies, the Mick Jagger one especially. :D (To clarify: it's a waste of time, but if you have a lot of time...)

Stix06

HSC
hey yeah I've seen that one it is hilarious. I think its funny when we are supposed to believe that weak little Mick Jagger can knock out this chunky guy in a bare fist fight. (wild wright)

HSC
I'm doing Ned Kelly for the 09 Extension History project.

Would anyone like to share some thoughts or anyone who's done it before where they found their best resources, what you enjoyed about the topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)