• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difficulty level at ANU (1 Viewer)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
it may only be 75, but the fail rate for many of the early eco/commerce/finance courses is disturbingly high. just because it's a low UAI, doesn't mean the course is going to be easier...

Evilo

HSC
UAI is based on supply and demand for that particular course - anu is a big campus (well funded) and there are many people who are too scared of moving away from home and therefore dont come to ANU. Standard is great here - challenging and fun*.

*Yeh big call to put "fun" in there next to "study"- but i've had fun here :)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
*emi* said:
on the topic of difficulty at anu...
i'm looking into eco/arts there and the uai is kinding scaring me a bit its only 75 compared with the 90s for everything i want to do at sydney/unsw so just making sure that even though its low the lectures and stuff arn't geared to people who got 75 because i do want a uni course that will be interesting/challenging!!
trust me, you will be challanged. i have several friends who scored UAIs of literally 99.xx's last year and they can barely get 80+ above in economics/business. in fact, only 3 people out of 650 managed to scrape through with a HD (80+) last semester in first year accounting.

70 seems to be achievable but 80+ is quite a challange.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
GoodToGo said:
True. Moving away from home is one of the best parts of uni, but I guess not everyone can afford it..
Yeah there are a number of people here who get the government funding- (umm whats it called AusStudy?) and it usually covers there expenses. But for many people they are independent - but they just can't prove it, thats when the pressure hits.

Its been the best move ive ever made to move out of home and live "independently"

Venusian

HSC
*emi* said:
on the topic of difficulty at anu...
i'm looking into eco/arts there and the uai is kinding scaring me a bit its only 75 compared with the 90s for everything i want to do at sydney/unsw so just making sure that even though its low the lectures and stuff arn't geared to people who got 75 because i do want a uni course that will be interesting/challenging!!

hmmm well i think it is getting dumbed down a little (for econ anyways)

i started in 05, and while i dont think the syllabus has greatly changed, in macro 1, micro 1 and econometrics 1 they now have mid semester exams which they never had back in my day :D so your final exam isnt as hard (it use to be weighted as 75-80% of your final grade)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)