Difficulty of Elective Subjects (1 Viewer)

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
Hi All,

Perhaps a nebulous question with no real answer, but how do elective subjects compare with core subjects in terms of difficulty? I've heard that subjects (electives) which are usually taken up in later years are not as difficult as some of the core subjects such as property law and equity. What are your views and would you advise for or against, for someone like myself who's only in their 2nd year, in taking an elective for semester two? I haven't done property law or equity, so what sort of elective subjects would not build/rely much on these areas (eg obviously succession law would).

Thanks a lot.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
MichaelJackson2 said:
Hi All,

Perhaps a nebulous question with no real answer, but how do elective subjects compare with core subjects in terms of difficulty? I've heard that subjects (electives) which are usually taken up in later years are not as difficult as some of the core subjects such as property law and equity. What are your views and would you advise for or against, for someone like myself who's only in their 2nd year, in taking an elective for semester two? I haven't done property law or equity, so what sort of elective subjects would not build/rely much on these areas (eg obviously succession law would).

Thanks a lot.
Electives range in difficulty. In general I have found that they are not more and not less difficult than core subjects. That said, clearly some core subjects are more difficult than others -- such as property and equity.

As to taking electives that rely on knowledge developed in core subjects, usually you can consult the elective guides or course overviews describing that subject. (Your law school probably has a law handbook or course descriptions list somewhere online.) These specify assumed knowledge or subjects which are prerequisites.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
over here there are definitely some electives that are really difficult, perhaps more difficult than core subjects. unjust enrichment is one of them. constitutional problems is another. equity is relatively easy here, perhaps because we have lovely lecturers - that might be another factor to take into account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)