• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dilema with Schooling (1 Viewer)

Would you Stay or Go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
sinophile said:
I don't get why the fuck you'd want to go to a non-selective. I go to one. The school is swarming with lebs and dickheads, and especially dickhead lebs. Every single teacher, except for the EXTREMELY HARDLINE ones, have completely lost their will to teach- practically every lesson is either a computer lesson or a tv lesson where they don't need to handle the class. If you don't get into the top class, you're doomed. DOOMED.

ps if you want to go to a non-selective public school, youre a fucking dumbass and deserve to. i rue every day i attend my school, dont make the same mistake i did.
LOL you go to Cheso. You should've swapped schools if you were having those problem. But to OP said "Better teachers, apparently my Bio teachers gota a PhD and Chem has wrote a book..." hence the whole teacher's not willing to teach not being much for a problem.

BTW, what'd you decide to do Lukybear?

Rainie

HSC
To OP:

I was in the same situation as you. I got offered a place at a top 50 selective high school and decided whether to go or not. I asked around my friends at my old school and my teachers and they all said to accept the offer because it could maximise my potential. But, if you don't like the selective high school, you can always return to your old one.

When I went to the selective school, making new friends was proved difficult for me. But having said that, all the teachers from various faculties maximised my potential. In my old school, they marked really easily; wheras in the selective school they marked critically and provided feedback on ways I can improve my marks.

But in the end, give the selective school a try. Because, I don't think you'll be the only newbie there (because I wasn't). But return to your current high school if you don't like it.

Good luck :lol:

sirfeathers

HSC
I would stay where you are. I was in a similar situation to you, decided to stay in my own year for social reasons, and i certainly don't think it compromised my final results. Great teachers are not to be found everywhere, so if you've got them, then I'd take them. Plus, as you say, at a smaller school with smaller classes teachers can give you individualised attention. And with all the practical and personal upheaval that you'd need to undertake, is it really worth it?

If you can create your own motivation, you won't need external competitive pressures to succeed - you'll be your own competitor. My school was also ranked ~50 and although the overall competitive pressures were not what they would've been at Ruse, Baulkham Hills, SBH and SGH etc, there was a considerable "top band" of students who made sure that there still was a "competitive" academic environment, this might be true at your current school too.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
on't all public schools draw their teachers from the same pool? Its probably about the environment- if you have a shit-head leb infested one then you'll consequently get teachers who are demoralised.

Also, competition transforms people. Especially asians, who are especially susceptible to this influence >:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)