Dilemma ------ selecting courses (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Hello,

I am science person and I want to get into research after I graduate from university. Hence, I select advanced science. However, I heard Advanced Science in general has low employment rate. Please verify that for meh. After reading the available majors in B.Advanced Science, I think i will do either chemistry, molecular and cell biology, pharmacology or microbiology. I see many people doing statistics as a major but I am not really that great at maths. :/ . I believe I can improve if I put learn work into it though. However, my ultimate goal is to work in research as I have mentioned before but the relative low job prospects in comparison to like commerce and engineering degrees is pushing me to combine Advanced Science with either commerce or engineering (and ofc put hard work into maths). I will also be seek internships and work experience at science research areas during uni to increase my employability after graduation. If i am going to combine science with enginnering, I will probably do Chemical/industrial/biomedical enginnering. (I saw a lot jobs on civil enginnering tho)

My questions are:

Should I just take Advanced Science by itself and not combine any commerce/engineering degrees with it? Instead, I should use the time after I graduate from Advanced Science to find more work experience (or even a full-time job) rather than spending another 2 years at uni to complete the engineering/commerce degree combined with the advanced science?

Should I stick another commerce or engineering degree with my Advanced Science in case I find it difficult to find a job after graduation? Adv.Science at UNSW has honours included with it too which is good.

Which of the following majors in Advanced Science will give me the employment at the moment? I enjoy all of them and i'm okay with the statistics major.

Just having a tough time deciding right now, thanks guys :)

MehriA

HSC
Doing six years of Uni is not going to help you financially nor with focusing on your studies. It's going to put more stress on you juggling two degrees (on top of that its advanced science with commerce or engineering, yikes!). If you work hard on solely Advanced Science I'm sure you can find a good job. Focus on internship programs and any scholarship programs. If I was you, and I know I want to get into research, I would just stick with doing Advanced Science. Good luck!

HSC
Employment for science related degrees (research) are really not that great.

You're better off combining your science degree with commerce or engineering as it opens up more employment opportunities.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Employment for science related degrees (research) are really not that great.

You're better off combining your science degree with commerce or engineering as it opens up more employment opportunities.
Hmm, do you think by actively doing internship/work experience during my studies at research places to increase my practical experience would be enough to make significantly boost my employment opportunities? By that i mean removing the need to combine adv.science with commerce and enginnering

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
despite the fact u say ur bad at maths, i highly recommend knowing the statistic side - as it greatly assists in research science

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Since i need to learn 3u for adv science now and both commerce/enginneeing requires 3u too, i think i should combine either commerce/enginnering and give it a try for 1 year (or few semesters). If it's too much for me, i would just do an internal transfer back to single degree adv sci. Which of the 2 degrees should i combine adv. science with? (mainly for job opportunities).

I can do chemical/industrial enginnering and still make use of my chemistry. Or just do commerce (which i heard has decent employment rate too -idk seems competitive to me)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Actually, i think ive made up my mind now. I'll just do adv.sci by itself and be active in seeking work experience :)

if no jobs, i can be a science teacher by studying the masters of education :)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Don't need 3u and stuff for science
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2016/CHEMB13962.html

For chemistry major stage 1, it says i need to do mathematics 1A (Math1131) - "Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1."

This math1131 course is also required in the materials science major and microbiology major (not molecular and cell biology tho).

Gerardddbro

HSC
If you pay $$$ for the result check, raw mark report and your written answers, is there any chance of an error in your favour being changed and therefore resulting in a lower ATAR?
e.g. mark from 93 ecos to 92 causing an ATAR decrease

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2016/CHEMB13962.html

For chemistry major stage 1, it says i need to do mathematics 1A (Math1131) - "Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1."

This math1131 course is also required in the materials science major and microbiology major (not molecular and cell biology tho).
Oh right, sorry I should correct myself. Most majors don't require a higher level maths, but if you're doing chem/phys/stats I think you do need it.

If you pay $$$ for the result check, raw mark report and your written answers, is there any chance of an error in your favour being changed and therefore resulting in a lower ATAR?
e.g. mark from 93 ecos to 92 causing an ATAR decrease
yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)