Diploma of Languages with Combined Law (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
I am doing B Eco/B Laws next year at UNSW, but I also want to continue French, through the Diploma of Languages Program. Is it possible to do a combined degree, as well as this Diploma??

Thanks

Lumix

HSC
I am doing B Eco/B Laws next year at UNSW, but I also want to continue French, through the Diploma of Languages Program. Is it possible to do a combined degree, as well as this Diploma??

Thanks
The diploma of languages was designed for those who wish to take up a language but are not able to because of degree restrictions. For example, those degrees which did not allow majoring in a language. One such degree is the B.Commerce/Science(Advanced Mathematics) which doesn't allow a language major and offers no electives outside of the Science faculty. I am guessing it is a similar scenario with your program since it is also a dual degree. The diploma of languages is probably the only way you can continue to study French at university level. But doing a Diploma of languages also means you will have to extend your current program by one year.

There is also the Institute of languages(also UNSW) which offers weekend language classes if you don't want to extend your degree.

Meshy590

HSC
i was told that you could do this program at the same time as another degree??

"It may be taken concurrently with another degree program (excluding those programs where language studies are available as a major or minor stream) or by graduates."

Lumix

HSC
i was told that you could do this program at the same time as another degree??

"It may be taken concurrently with another degree program (excluding those programs where language studies are available as a major or minor stream) or by graduates."
Taking up the diploma means you have to do courses corresponding to your language. You have to take a total of 6 French courses (same as major requirement) to qualify for a diploma. You can only take four courses per semester, two semester per year. Lets say you already do 50 courses for your Law/Eco degree, by doing the diploma you have the additional 6 courses which will extend your degree. So yes, you do the diploma at the same time as you do your degree, but it will still extend your entire program.

Meshy590

HSC
thanks for explaining that.

But would it not be possible to do one extra course of French every semester? So in 1st semester for example, could I do the 3 eco courses, 1 law course AND 1 french course? Or is 4 courses a semester the absolute maximum??

Kittikhun

HSC
Hey, mate.

You can overload if you want to, and do five courses a semester, but you have to talk to somebody in the system to do so and you better have good reason and very good marks to justify you doing so, I think.

I've read that the diploma of languages at UNSW is actually worth 48UOC, so that's eight courses (http://intlstudies.arts.unsw.edu.au/programs/diploma-of-languages-71.html). Considering that you need to do nine courses to major in a degree...

Because you've done French Extension, you'll be doing Professional French A and B, then you're going to be doing five courses of French texts, film, or culture and then a capstone course that encapsulates everything at the end. Some courses won't be available due to a lack of enrolments or for some other reason. For example, the course on 'French Texts' isn't offered next year (ça m'éneeerve!), so you may have to do some French course such as 'French Cinema' to fill the requirements for your diploma (the course is in English though) that you may not want to do. I don't know if you want to do French courses at HSC Advanced/Extension English level in French (Jean de Florette!)! Also, just to let you know, French isn't offered at Summer School.

Could I ask you though, is it really worth it in the end, dude? Why not just go on exchange in France or some other Francophone country for a semester or two? You'll be practically fluent after that experience and you can put that down in your résumé. You'll also learn more French in a more efficient way than you'll ever learn at UNSW by doing this, and you'll graduate sooner. But this is just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)