Diprotic acid- strong base titration (1 Viewer)

squishyau

HSC
I need to write up a procedure for this titration but I am confused due to it having two equivalence points. Is there any difference in procedure compared to a monoprotic acid? thanks!

hayabusaboston

HSC
typical subjects of top 5 school person lol. anyway i just started on this in chem so sorry not yet acquainted with how it works. But will get soon

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I need to write up a procedure for this titration but I am confused due to it having two equivalence points. Is there any difference in procedure compared to a monoprotic acid? thanks!
You can completely ignore it (for the HSC anyway), as the equilibrium of the second dissociation will be pulled to the right as the titration proceeds, yielding the same amount of protons in the end.

Just make sure you account for this in your calculations (remember your equations!)

squishyau

HSC
so basically as soon as I see the change in colour of the indicator, end the titration?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Like oxalic acid + sodium hydroxide. Oxalic acid is diprotic so you just need to make sure that in your equation, you show the transfer of 2 hydrogens:
H2C2O4 + 2 NaOH -> Na2C2O4 + 2 H2O

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
shouldn't be much difference. Just pick a a relatively inidicator and it should be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)