Disabling MSN Messenger for user (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Is there a way I can disable it only on a (limited) account on the comp? I have two users (1 is a computer admin, and another is a limited account).

I've had a look through google, but it isn't helping. If there is a link or any instructions....Thanks guys.

enrop

HSC
To disable messenger on a limited account, you will have to limit access to the folder that messenger is installed to for the limited user.

So, in your Admin account, goto

C: drive > Program files > Messenger ( or MSN messenger)

"Messenger" is just the msn messenger that comes with windows, repeat for both folders "Messenger" and "MSN Messenger" if u want to block both

right click on the folder (Messenger or MSN messenger) > Properties > Security (tab at the top)

Look to see if your limited user is already in the list, if not (most likely), click Add and type the limited user account name, click check names and it will complete the whole account name

Click ok, select the account name, and click the checkboxes in the deny collum to deny access

apply, and should not let the limited account into msn messenger

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Thanks enrop.
This is a bit late, but I gave it a go...It didn't work though (what you said).

I uninstalled MSN 7.5.
Then, installed 8.0.
It didn't give me an option to chose the directory to install.
Now the folder is again in Program Files, and I cannot make the change in the "Sharing" tab to make it private.
I read on the microsoft site that having a folder in the redruM's Documents will allow me to change that setting. But I have NFI how to get the MSN Messenger folder in there.

Any more help? :eek:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
politik said:
Block that users access to certain ports. You can see what ports MSN uses on portforward.com, but I cannot remember how exactly to restrict TCP/IP access for User Accounts.
Got confusing? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)