disadvantage of quarantine (1 Viewer)

yarali

HSC
hellppp... i need to know some disadvantages of quarantine for an assesment plz
thnnxx :confused:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Brings disadvantages to citizens who are expecting parcels. The parcels, which might not pose particular danger to the Australian environment, might still be rejected.

Scientists undergoing biological studies may require biological samples from overseas, which *could* be considered dangerous, and thus hampering scientific advancement.

Overly strict quarantine can also limit the food/merchandises avaliable to the citizens (as you might imagine, a good proportion of them will be blocked/sent off/incinerated by AQIS).

homijoe

HSC
you could mention how quarantine was ineffective last year. in 2007 quarantine was blamed for the entry of the Equine influenza from japanese horses. the horses that had the horse flu viruse may not have been passed through stringent quaratine measures. the result of this is that it costed the horse industry a whooping $1 billion dollars in loss. basically if quaratine does not carry out its procedures correctly it can devastate Australias economy.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
mmm, i'm sure you could write something along the lines of 'quarantine has a negative effect on biodiversity'

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
always.dreaming said:
mmm, i'm sure you could write something along the lines of 'quarantine has a negative effect on biodiversity'
Now thats what I call lateral thinking
Though I think the markers may crucify you for that

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Now thats what I call lateral thinking
Though I think the markers may crucify you for that
haha

anyway, quarantine is
-Obstrusive. Suspected cases need to be quarantined for the length of the incubation period of the dieasease. Everything needs to be checked, so can be quite time consuming.
-Intrusive. Parcels and bags must be ripped open and possibly have things taken out or sniffed by dogs.
-Expensive. AQIS uses billions of taxpayer dollars per year. But this expense if far preferable to obliterating the economy which relies on primary industry by opening the floodgates to destructive disease.
-Sometimes ineffective. It sucks at dealing with diseases that are super-infective, have a long incubation period and do not have highly evident symptoms. Note the equine influenza quarantine measures were futile in the end because the disease was so infective it could be carried on clothes which quarantine measures did not check.

HOPE THAT HELpS

Last edited:

annikab

HSC
Quarantine is only effective as a PHYSICAL barrier to disease, e.g. isolation, destroying infected items. This is a disadvantage as many diseases, like avian influenza for example, can be spread by wild birds that naturally migrate over borders. It is exceedingly difficult stop this kind of spread without culling - something which is detrimental to the environment as it decreases biodiversity.

Also, with globalisation there has come a breakdown of the barriers of time and space, e.g. airtravel, so diseases are able to spread quickly and often undetected for this reason. Take swine flu as another point in case.

PoisedTiger007

HSC
Make sure that your answer as to quarantine measures are totally relevant to the disease. For instance, you wouldn't talk about screening incoming plant and animal products from North America and Mexico with regards to swine flu, since it is a virus and a virus will only survive in a host.
Some measures you can talk about regarding swine flu include:
- Using thermosensors in the points of entry to detect any high body temperatures which is one flu-like symptom. Passengers with such symptoms can be brought aside by AQIS officers and questioned about possible exposure to the H1N1 virus.
- Issuing facemasks to affected individuals to minimise the contraction through the general public. The virus is not able to thrive outside hosts and therefore the spread of the virus will be reduced.

Last edited:

ashish2466

HSC
Two weeks is a long time. Even more so if you’re not allowed to leave your house. It’s dark times for the world as the economy is in shambles, the number of cases continue to rise, the public is panicking, so many of the world’s most anticipated events are being cancelled or postponed. The Tokyo Olympics happening is also strongly in question!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)