Disappointed (1 Viewer)

Randomist

HSC
No Haber process questions, no nuclear chemistry questions and no dry cell battery questions - I studied all that stuff so well and there was none in there. I reckon the test didn't cover enough of our material, it seemed fairly poorly written to me...

mitchwong650

HSC
No Haber process questions, no nuclear chemistry questions and no dry cell battery questions - I studied all that stuff so well and there was none in there. I reckon the test didn't cover enough of our material, it seemed fairly poorly written to me...
I concur. The test really didn't get us to apply any of the more detailed parts of the course.

i would've liked some CFCs and ozone stuff too, but no.

vpperson

HSC
Yeah I was totally looking forward to the nuclear chem bits... Ah well. Yes it did seem a bit lacking, but what can you do. Anyone do forensic chemistry option? I thought that was hard...

boxhunter91

HSC
Very badly written.
I memorised all lead acid and button cell reactions off by heart. Memorised all Industrial Chemistry reactions... All for nothing.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
I concur. The test really didn't get us to apply any of the more detailed parts of the course.

i would've liked some CFCs and ozone stuff too, but no.
argh me too.. i learnt all those damn equations for nothing =.=

xFusion

HSC
Very badly written.
I memorised all lead acid and button cell reactions off by heart. Memorised all Industrial Chemistry reactions... All for nothing.
Yes this. Except Shipwreck equations XD

Randomist

HSC
Yeah I was keen for some CFCs and ozone questions as well, I had memories basically all the syllabus outcomes for that particular section. I also had a huge write up about sulfur dioxide emissions and I was a bit annoyed that there was only a question on nitrogen oxides.

Randomist

HSC
Yeah I was keen for some CFCs and ozone questions as well, I had memorised basically all the syllabus outcomes for that particular section. I also had a huge write up about sulfur dioxide emissions and I was a bit annoyed that there was only a question on nitrogen oxides.

lychnobity

HSC
I was disappointed, it really was about applying things this year, not too many 'social' type questions.

Did anyone else go wtf at the last Industrial question?

truestar92

HSC
i actually didnt find the exam too bad but i HATED some of the calculation questions
i wish there was some haber on there or decarbonating a soft drink prac
oh wells
it was so weird last night when i was cramming I had a feeling we'd have to draw and AAS diagram ! spooky lol

RandalThor

HSC

Yes I must say I agree. The last like 6 years had Haber, and then suddenly none. Batteries are very rarely tested for some reason...they seem to prefer the galvanic cells.

It was pretty limited in what it covered I thought, there were a fair few calculation questions, like 2 experiments and not enough conceptual stuff. There was nothing on acid theories and certainly nothing on buffers.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
watch some SMH or daily telegraph person write another article on how hsc students just memorise crap for their science subjects but don't really understand what's going on or some bullcrap

truestar92

HSC
I was disappointed, it really was about applying things this year, not too many 'social' type questions.

I liked it but i was wondering why it was worth 7 marks

vpa2891

HSC

MEEEE! I just wrote watever i could remember of solvay process. It was the last part of the topic and my teacher literally went through it in 15 mins :mad1:

harry4

HSC
Yes I must say I agree. The last like 6 years had Haber, and then suddenly none. Batteries are very rarely tested for some reason...they seem to prefer the galvanic cells.

It was pretty limited in what it covered I thought, there were a fair few calculation questions, like 2 experiments and not enough conceptual stuff. There was nothing on acid theories and certainly nothing on buffers.
Well if Haber was in the last few is it really surprising that it wasn''t in this one?
And galvanic cells you actually have to demonstarte understanding of concepts and apply these where as for dbatteries it is just regurgitation which does not really test anything

kanux

HSC
yer shipwrecks, no anaerobic bacteria. i memorised equations for that -.-"

yer i sorta expected haber process but we got that um le chatelier's principle 6 marker?

i hoped for the dry cell + button cell to be a 7 marker by comparing the two as well.

my tutor expected models, membrane filters and measuring radioactivity to be in the exam.

RandalThor

HSC
Well if Haber was in the last few is it really surprising that it wasn''t in this one?
And galvanic cells you actually have to demonstarte understanding of concepts and apply these where as for dbatteries it is just regurgitation which does not really test anything
Not really surprised as such. As for batteries I totally agree; they just consist of remembering equations and information. Galvanic cells are good and this year's trick will have thrown a lot of people.
watch some SMH or daily telegraph person write another article on how hsc students just memorise crap for their science subjects but don't really understand what's going on or some bullcrap
Haha yeah like the english one? You saw that? The Sydney Morning Herald did one on English this week as well, saying 'Students can no longer think on their feet'.

Last edited:

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
I thought the test wasn't too bad. It covered a fair bit of stuff but yeh there was no cfc's or batteries (I don't care cause it was the stuff i knew the least about). Did anyone else notice the purely prelim question - the one about the solvent properties of water and ethanol. The last industrial question i saw it and went wtf! Ended up writing 4 pages though - mightve been overkill.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
This post is full of win.

mitchwong650

HSC
I liked it but i was wondering why it was worth 7 marks
Simply the layout of the exam. if you look at all the options , all the last questions are worth 7 marks. guess they wanted a knowledge dump.

and i was also quite disappointed there was no deep sea corrosion!

i spent the whole morning doing last minute cramming on the sporovibrio desulfurican equations , but no.

oh well . time for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)