Discrete maths 1081 (1 Viewer)

RazorSpoon

HSC
I was wondering if discrete is any good or worth it? I'm doing the advanced math course and i was wondering since I'm going to be doing more difficult maths later on, should i just do something else since i heard it takes a fair amount of effort to do well. Discrete is one of my recommended electives but i am leaning towards fins1612(market capital and institution) since discrete isn't a prerequisite for future subjects. Opinions on either of the subjects, discrete or fins1612?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
If you are a maths major you should do 1081.

People complain about it because it is different from HSC maths, but it is actually not that hard.

RazorSpoon

HSC
Thanks, im thinking of the financial market and institution since im planning to work within the finance sector. For the time being, im still leaning towards it unless i know that 1081 is absolutely neccessary since both of them are recommended electives. Just wondering if 1081 would be more beneficial than the finance?

_santa

HSC
You should absolutely do it, many people will tell you it's the best kind of maths ever. And I have to agree though I'm not good at it. It's definitely more interesting than normal maths, you won't regret it. I personally think it is good preparation for some courses such as MATH3411 Information, Codes and Ciphers.

dvse

HSC
N/A
I think the reason you think Discrete maths is good is because it's the first course where they try to emphasize formal proofs, unlike useless computations that you would've seen in school and to a large degree maths 1a. If so, you are likely to actually like the 3rd year 'pure' courses where you redo the foundations rigorously.

_santa

HSC
I think the reason you think Discrete maths is good is because it's the first course where they try to emphasize formal proofs, unlike useless computations that you would've seen in school and to a large degree maths 1a. If so, you are likely to actually like the 3rd year 'pure' courses where you redo the foundations rigorously.
I really hope that's the case...but Proof is my least favorite section of all, maybe more than modular arithmetic (which is, as you say, more computation stuff like the algebra strand in maths 1a). How's 3rd year maths actually? They sound pretty hard to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)