discrete maths math1081 worth doing (1 Viewer)

mash121

HSC
i hear mixed reviews about this course some say its crappy proofs others say it expands ur thinking, is it worth taking this course and is it directly useful for 2nd & 3rd yr math courses (applied/stat) or is it just for maths maturity

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I like it. It's worth it, I think. The teaching may not be the best in some aspects, but the content is quite interesting.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I enjoyed it. It was quite different from our calculus-based HSC courses. What degree are you doing? Do you like set theory, number theory, probability / permutations & combinations, proving things?

mash121

HSC
i am doing com/sci major in fins, applied math and stats

mash121

HSC
someone told me that u will only find it useful if ur planning on doing pure maths because that is when u will be doing lots of proofs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should be doing it anyway. It's a maths course, why are you trying to avoid it? Sheesh.

mash121

HSC
You should be doing it anyway. It's a maths course, why are you trying to avoid it? Sheesh.
relax, i am not trying to avoid it, plus it is not compulsory just recommended, if its going to be a waste of time i would rather do a comp elective that is all, but if people say it helps further down the track ill do it. u have given me ur opinion so y do u keep posting for.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, you should do it anyway because it's a different portion of mathematics than what you get in high school. You might end up liking it, I certainly did.

You say you're doing Applied Maths and Stats - you might do Discrete and go "omg graph theory is the best thing ever" and do a Graph Theory course which is a Pure Maths thing.

and i like posting here.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did discrete, but never really liked it.

Math Man on the other hand appears to be finding it very interesting.

deterministic

HSC
relax, i am not trying to avoid it, plus it is not compulsory just recommended, if its going to be a waste of time i would rather do a comp elective that is all, but if people say it helps further down the track ill do it. u have given me ur opinion so y do u keep posting for.
Why not do both? MATH1081 is quite useful when learning programming as it gives you a good grasp on logical flow. Plus learning how to construct rigorous arguments in proofs is still necessary in applied and stats as well and all the compulsory "pure" maths subjects in second year. MATH1081 is probably the only first year course which really teaches you how to think mathematically. And its quite fun as well.

Also you need 24 UOC (4 subjects) in level 1 science (see here: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/finance-study-plan). Presuming you are going to do at the moment:
- Either MATH1151/MATH1141/MATH1131
- Either MATH1251/MATH1241/MATH1231
- Either COMP1911/1971
at the moment, you still need 1 more level 1 science subject and in my opinion MATH1081 fits in best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)