discursive help (1 Viewer)

juliastiles

HSC
What can I include in my paragraphs to avoid rambling? I know anecdotes help make it more engaging but what other things should I keep in mind? Also would it be okay to just link the question to something personal like talking about school, Covid, coming of age etc so I have more direction in what im writing instead of going on about something abstract?

RaymondB

HSC
I thought the whole point of discursive was to rant lol. A good discursive will explore both sides of an argument, while also providing an anecdote and personal opinion which may or may not side with these arguments. Like you said, you could link to school, Covid or coming of age, but make sure to provide an alternative view (for example, you are happy to leave school but also yearn for nostalgia and being with your friends everyday at school or something like that)

juliastiles

HSC
I thought the whole point of discursive was to rant lol. A good discursive will explore both sides of an argument, while also providing an anecdote and personal opinion which may or may not side with these arguments. Like you said, you could link to school, Covid or coming of age, but make sure to provide an alternative view (for example, you are happy to leave school but also yearn for nostalgia and being with your friends everyday at school or something like that)
I usually just rant but my English teacher told me it sounds like im not really going anywhere with what im saying. I think I'll just incorporate more personal and anecdotal references to make it more engaging

RaymondB

HSC
Usually when you are ranting you have to reveal some new insight, for example in my previous given example you can say humans paradoxically yearn for what is already gone or something lol, but leaving a bit of ambiguity is important as it is a discursive. You dont want to say anything is objective as you would be taking bias to one side of the argument. You can only take a side in your personal statement in the discursive, not when arguing the two different views. Also yes, it is important to use anecdotes, they spice up the essay!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)