Discuss the principle of relativity. (1 Viewer)

sNaix

HSC
off the top of my head...

Einstein's theory of special relativity states that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference, therefore any observers in any frame of reference will agree on the speed of light but not length, mass and time measurements.

oh and also... this is c&p from hsc online for that specific dot point;

•The principle of relativity was first stated by Galileo and embodied in Newton’s first law. It states that it is not possible to perform an experiment within an inertial frame of reference to detect the motion of the frame of reference. The only way to detect the motion of an inertial frame of reference is by referring to another frame of reference. For example, if you are in a spacecraft far from any planet, star or other object, then you cannot tell if you are moving. Your rockets have long been turned off and you are coasting along to your destination with uniform velocity. However, without referring to outside objects (for example, triangulating off certain stars over a long time period), it is impossible to measure, or even detect, your velocity.

Last edited:
K

khorne

Talk about the fact that it is not possible to perform an experiment in an inertial frame to determine if you're moving as the theory of relativity. however, add that as a consequence to it, light must have constant speed, so time, mass and length dilation occurs.

jamesfirst

HSC
I don't think Newtonian PR is important...

But I would talk about Galilean the most.

nerdiichic

HSC
N/A
so basically, we just need to talk about galileos right? there is a princple of relativty AND special theory of relativty which is einsteins one =/

jamesfirst

HSC
You could mention that Einstein further developed Galilean's principle of relativity.

I think the reason why it was "Special" Relativity is because it dealt with speed of light... and there's so special significancy in speed of light :p:p (just my guess xD)

Make sure you add advantages or disadvantages

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
- laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference
- there are no experiments able to be conducted in an inertial frame of reference from which you can determine the motion of that inertial frame of reference
- There is no way to distinguish between the two types of inertial frames of reference (stationary and moving with constant v) without referring to an external viewpoint

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)