Discussion for deducing ions (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
Hello everybody
Sorry for the many questions.. I've finally just got stuck into studying :p
What are some points I should discuss regarding the reliability and accuracy when deducing ions present in a sample? I've looked everywhere but I can't find much information on this.

Thanks in advance.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
which dotpoint are u looking at, cuz the deducing ions doesn't need what ur asking

Pace_T

HSC
but i thought the point was suggesting that we do a practical to deduce ions present (which poeple here have been doing)
and usually there's a discussion when u do pracs :confused:
cheers matey :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Something I can think of is distinguishing between two ions which have similar precipitate colours or properties in solution, and therefore the results are not completely reliable.

Take Ca2+ and Ba2+ for example. Both cations form white precipitates with SO42-. Therefore if white precipitate is formed with Na2SO4 solution, a further test is required to identify whether the cation present is Ca2+ or Ba2+.

Now we would use the flame test. While Ba2+ glows apple-green in a flame test, Ca2+ glows brick-red. (Refer to my other post on distinguishing ions by flame test: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1705865&postcount=14 )

Some other factors to consider would be to use a black plastic pallet when testing for precipitates, so that it is easy to see the solid particles, and identify the colour of the precipitate.

I think that's what you were after, are there any specific questions on a particular ion?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
i see, you mean this dot point

perform first-hand investigations to carry out a range of tests, including flame tests, to identify the following ions:
- phosphate
- sulfate
- carbonate
- chloride
- barium
- calcium
- lead
- copper
- iron

Then i guess u would

richz

u need to know all the tests, like precipitation and flame tests..

IcEy

HSC
With the Ba, Ca Dreamerish was talking about.
Instead of testing with flame test, you can add NaF to the solution, since CaF2 is insoluble.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
See below posts.

Last edited:

niall045

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Iron (II) forms green precipitaite with OH- while iron (III) forms brown.
i hope ur not deadly sure on the iron (II) forming a green precipitate with hydroxide 'cos i read in a few textbooks that it is white. o dear

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
niall045 said:
i hope ur not deadly sure on the iron (II) forming a green precipitate with hydroxide 'cos i read in a few textbooks that it is white. o dear
Sorry, my bad.

nit said:
Well iron (II) solution is pale green, and when you add in hydroxide ions the iron (II) hydroxide precipitate that forms is greyish-green - that's the way that most people use, and is pretty accurate in real life.
There you have it.

To distinguish between the two: Fe2+ decolourises acidified dilute potassium permanganate solution and Fe3+ forms a deep red solution with SCN-.

Last edited:

azza_3761

HSC
grabalife said:
how has everyone else duduced between iron (II) and iron (III)? I'm so confused with these two.
Iron(II) + NaOH --> White precipitate which changes to a brown precipitate
Iron(III) + NaOH --> Brown precipitate

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
azza_3761 said:
Iron(II) + NaOH --> Brown precipitate
Iron(III) + NaOH --> White precipitate which changes to a brown precipitate
Other way around.

Iron (III) forms a brown precipitate, and my sources have contradicted each other, but Nit confirmed that the precipitate formed by iron (II) and hydroxide is in fact greyish-green. Refer to my post above with quote.

azza_3761

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Other way around.

Iron (III) forms a brown precipitate, and my sources have contradicted each other, but Nit confirmed that the precipitate formed by iron (II) and hydroxide is in fact greyish-green. Refer to my post above with quote.
Yea thanx for the correction dreamerish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)