Discussion: Mac vs. PC (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Can you tell me where to buy a macbook equivalent for <$300? I would so buy a stack of those.... :music:
Only the most basic one is $1300, since they dont state what model processor they use, it's hard to compare that, but a dell of similar price has ,4 gig ram (a $140 option from apple)
a 500 gig hard drive ($210 option)
and a 512mb Nvidia graphics card, as opposed to 256 mb.
And it's $100 cheaper to begin with, so that translates to $450 cheaper which is a substantial amount.

Like yeah, I would have liked a macbook they are p cool but windows 7 is a lot better than previous ones I've found, and my aunty works for IBM so I couldn't justify a $500 premium over a Thinkpad.

Edit: Oh yeah I wanted a 13"/14" one though, if I was going any larger MBP for sure.

Last edited:

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
what else can mac do besides fit in an envelope?

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Sigh... when will the graphics/media industry learn that they can get the same build with equivalently (sic) decent software for quite a significant amount cheaper...

The only excuse is Sound Studios are allowed to use Macs...simply for some bizarre reason, recordings sound better on a Mac (maybe it's UNIX, but no one knows WHY... they just do) but only if they keep them updated with decent parts...

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Linux for most things including software development
Windows for gaming
- there is nothing like running 1 command and having new software installed
<3 package managers

omnipotent

HSC
Windows 7 is a much more powerful OS than Mac OS X

I have both, and the only thing I use my Mac for anymore is garageband when I feel like adding some effects to my guitar in real time (if anyone knows of a similar product for windows do tell).
Other than that, running on Mac is annoying. The office programs all suck so its annoying to do school work on, the constant "error -10810" require a restart in order to fix anything and for the time being Windows wins in terms of software availability and functionality.

HSC
Uni Grad
Windows > Mac
1 word
games.
Yep, there is simply no better way of stating it than how you have done.

Also despite the short period of exposure to Macs at school, there were many bad experiences with them (though they'd have improved from then but still not worth it imo).

carbon_death

HSC
PC:
Customization.
Unrestricted Upgrading.
Alot cheaper.
You don't pay for a Linux Distro as an OS.
You can play many many more games.
Wider support for various file formats.

Mac:
Overpriced.
Underpowered.
Look okay, i guess.
Apple often try to market old tech, for example, check out the marketing pitch for the Mac Pro with "One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots" (WOW!)
OSx is essentially a Linux distro.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Only the most basic one is $1300, since they dont state what model processor they use, it's hard to compare that, but a dell of similar price has ,4 gig ram (a $140 option from apple)
a 500 gig hard drive ($210 option)
and a 512mb Nvidia graphics card, as opposed to 256 mb.
And it's $100 cheaper to begin with, so that translates to $450 cheaper which is a substantial amount.

Like yeah, I would have liked a macbook they are p cool but windows 7 is a lot better than previous ones I've found, and my aunty works for IBM so I couldn't justify a $500 premium over a Thinkpad.

Edit: Oh yeah I wanted a 13"/14" one though, if I was going any larger MBP for sure.

I realised the other day that they stopped selling the aluminium Macbooks. It goes straight from the unibody white Macbook (i.e. the one-piece version of the old Macbook) at around $1200 (you can find it for around $1050-$1100 if you look hard and haggle at say JB; and once it was advertised <$1000 at a department store from memory) to the 13" Macbook pro. IMO Mac prices aren't too unreasonable now considering that you can't really compare spec to spec since Mac OS X is a lot faster/lighter on resources and battery than the Windows counterpart (at least in my experience).

arcticdbk

HSC
N/A
Mac for sure

Once you buy a mac, you'll never go back!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also be interested to see how many ppl posting in this thread are actually using the latest Mac OS X to compare with Windows 7.

xMaNx

HSC
I am using Windows 7, but I would like a MBP 15" only for the reason of the Unibody, the small thickness, decently light weight compared to my current windows laptop, and the larger battery life, even at a premium of $1000 extra i'm willing to buy it just for the brand name. Also the display on Most apple products is wonderful, which leads onto a 30" display or a 27" i7 iMac as another option just for video editing and rendering, nothing beats the apple displays (well I have not seen anything which does).

Windows however has the major advantage of being able to find software easily for it and the comfort of using it since I started using a computer, so it will be hard learning how to use a mac properly once I get one in a couple of months (mbp).

ibbi00

HSC
A true gamer will choose a PC.

Last edited:

xMaNx

HSC
PS3 & other consoles are better for gaming imo, computers should be left for other stuff.

HSC
Uni Grad
Comps are ideal for gaming imo, can emulate a lot of consoles anyway.

Which is why I only really like the wii as a console, something different you can't really just do on a computer.

But hey, each to his own and what not.

xMaNx

HSC
Comps are ideal for gaming imo, can emulate a lot of consoles anyway.

Which is why I only really like the wii as a console, something different you can't really just do on a computer.

But hey, each to his own and what not.
You are 100% right, but the fact that it costs about $2000 to build a fairly good gaming computer is also insane. I am also looking forward to the xbox kinect, that should be good technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)