• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Discussion- Quality of teaching at different schools (2 Viewers)

funnytomato

HSC
(mod - please move this to the correct sub-forum if it shouldn't be here)

what do you think of the quality of teaching at different schools, i.e. selective, comprehensive and private etc

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My school had a variation, the humanities were all excellent, English was spread out from excellent to shit, math was the same, science was similar, except physics was just shit.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My school had a variation, the humanities were all excellent, English was spread out from excellent to shit, math was the same, science was similar, except physics was just shit.
At our school only Maths and English have quality teachers.

funnytomato

HSC
could you guys specify the type of school you go to, if not the name ?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
could you guys specify the type of school you go to, if not the name ?
I went to a partially selective school during 7-10. It was hell. This school I now go to is a public one, it is way better. But still not up to scratch with my standards. Probably because everyone bludged in Year 7-10.

funnytomato

HSC
I went to a partially selective school during 7-10. It was hell. This school I now go to is a public one, it is way better. But still not up to scratch with my standards. Probably because everyone bludged in Year 7-10.
okay, so is the ranking of the partially selective school still higher than the public one?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
okay, so is the ranking of the partially selective school still higher than the public one?
It only went up to Year 10. By hell I mean, no-one trying. Apparently the teaching quality in selective and public schools are the same. A person I know from Sydney Boys says their teacher is lazy and plays Call of Duty. Hence people from Sydney Technical say their teacher skips content.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
It only went up to Year 10. By hell I mean, no-one trying. Apparently the teaching quality in selective and public schools are the same. A person I know from Sydney Boys says their teacher is lazy and plays Call of Duty. Hence people from Sydney Technical say their teacher skips content.
lol

anyways, thanks for you contribution

funnytomato

HSC
would you say that private schools' teachers are more dedicated and have higher teaching quality?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
would you say that private schools' teachers are more dedicated and have higher teaching quality?
I don't know many people that go to private schools. I would say it's roughly the same from what I have heard on the streets.

maths lover

HSC
well i go to a catholic school and we have some teachers who are authors. my maths teacher is a author and another teacher is a author who wrote book for geo, eco and business. but my physics teacher is horrible.

funnytomato

HSC
isn't the recruitment process of teachers at private schools different from that in public(selective and comprehensive) ones?
hence the quality of teachers is higher?

HSC
Uni Grad
At our school only Maths and English have quality teachers.
Social science department have teachers ranging from great all the way down to shit.

And in your grade, we all know that the teacher taking legal studies for year 11 is shit; I had him for modern last year :p

But nowadays, English and Maths teacher quality is dropping at our school :(

funnytomato

HSC
also by "way better", were you specifically talking about the quality of teaching or overall environment ?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
also by "way better", were you specifically talking about the quality of teaching or overall environment ?
Environment. It was noisy.

Social science department have teachers ranging from great all the way down to shit.

And in your grade, we all know that the teacher taking legal studies for year 11 is shit; I had him for modern last year :p

But nowadays, English and Maths teacher quality is dropping at our school :(
Good old days of rank 50 has now drifted away.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I suspect:

i) in Selective Schools, the students are selected but, save for a few exceptions. the teachers are not. In a few like Ruse, the pressure to deliver is so high that the non-performing teachers are weeded out or leave of their own accord before they are pushed.

ii) normal Public Schools - take whatever teachers they can get; the better ones can afford to be more selective.

iii) Independent Schools: the wealthier ones, like Sydney Grammar, Knox, Kings, Ascham can pay for the better teachers. So they have the money (like more successful corporations) to attract the better teachers - pay them better but in turn expect performance. So the better teachers, esp from the public schools, are poached by the wealthier schools. (John Howard's handouts to the private schools only make them wealthier)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I suspect:

i) in Selective Schools, the students are selected but, save for a few exceptions. the teachers are not. In a few like Ruse, the pressure to deliver is so high that the non-performing teachers are weeded out or leave of their own accord before they are pushed.

ii) normal Public Schools - take whatever teachers they can get; the better ones can afford to be more selective.

iii) Independent Schools: the wealthier ones, like Sydney Grammar, Knox, Kings, Ascham can pay for the better teachers. So they have the money (like more successful corporations) to attract the better teachers - pay them better but in turn expect performance. So the better teachers, esp from the public schools, are poached by the wealthier schools. (John Howard's handouts to the private schools only make them wealthier)
Can confirm

funnytomato

HSC
I suspect:

nicely suspected

on an irrelevant topic, how did you get your "Estimated Equivalent ATAR" :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)