• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Discussion- Quality of teaching at different schools (2 Viewers)

jnney

lemon
HSC
School rank: 100?

English = ranges widely. 3 good teachers.
science = fail. Maybe 2 good teachers.
Social science = fail.
Languages = excellent.
Art = excellent
Music = ..no.
Sport = excellent
History = excellent
Maths = excellent, With the excuse of the minority.

Student complaints about teachers are serious business though. I think my mx1 teacher is on the verge of being fired.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
would you say that the overall quality of teaching in all types of schools is dropping?

coz I remember when I was in my year 10 geography class, the teacher ( probably in his 50s) was telling us that "nowadays people can become teachers as long as they can breath"

(whereas when he was studying to be teacher, his friends who achieved at similar level academically all became doctors and lawyers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
would you say that the overall quality of teaching in all types of schools is dropping?

coz I remember when I was in my year 10 geography class, the teacher ( probably in his 50s) was telling us that "nowadays people can become teachers as long as they can breath"

(whereas when he was studying to be teacher, his friends who achieved at similar level academically all became doctors and lawyers)
Yes. In the old days we use to have great teachers. But they all left, presumably for money reasons. Tutoring colleges have now emerged and have increased immensely as more and more students enrol whereas in the old days there was little need.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I cant say for other schools, but with the examples of poor teaching abilities at my school, i seriously question their qualifications. There are teachers who dont know / unsure of what they are teaching, and teachers who are not
capable of answering questions related to the course. Fortunately for me ive been lucky to score all better teachers, yet my friends are in pain and just hating on their subjects. Quite sad.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I don't think many teacher's do realise their faults. We should have someone at the back of the room given a score to them each lesson.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I don't think many teacher's do realise their faults. We should have someone at the back of the room given a score to them each lesson.
half the staff at my school would be fired.

But yeah definitely.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
half the staff at my school would be fired.

But yeah definitely.
On a positive note, overall it's not too bad. Could be worse. I scanned around 150 pages of Maths work during the summer holidays to the head teacher of Mathematics at our school (future 4U teacher). He marked it in under 3 hours and printed all of it out and handed it to me.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I doubt it. Social science never catches people who plagarise. It's amazing.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I doubt it. Social science never catches people who plagarise. It's amazing.
Our Year 10 English teacher admitted the staff checks for any student's online accounts.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

It is quite easy to understand. If we go back 50 years there were not many of the job opennings we now have. Many of the better students were happy to be school teachers. Of course you still needed to be very good (top 2% ??) to study Medicine & Dentistry. To do Engineering you had to be strong in maths (certainly not Gen Maths) and physics and perhaps chemistry.

Nowadays the top-ATAR students, with a small exception, are competing for places in Medicine, Dentistry, Law; the next top choices being Commerce, ... . In the last 20 years the intake quality of teachers have dropped - although the intake quality has improved last 5 years. So instead of ATAR of say 72, many of the better unis (e.g. Syd & NSW) have teahing students with ATAR > 85?

50 years ago you didn't have CEO's drawing obscene salaries like $5 million a year plus bonuses. The landscape has changed.

So as has been pointed out, if you want to be better taught, you may need to go to coaching centres or private tutors like me.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
On a positive note, overall it's not too bad. Could be worse. I scanned around 150 pages of Maths work during the summer holidays to the head teacher of Mathematics at our school (future 4U teacher). He marked it in under 3 hours and printed all of it out and handed it to me.
well, that's a lot of work for both of you

but he's definitely a dedicated teacher

muzeikchun852

HSC
English: Okay.
Maths: Excellent.
Science: Excellent.
Social Science: Okay.
History: Excellent.
D+T: Okay.
Art: N/A
Music: Good.
PE: Err.

funnytomato

HSC
Nowadays the top-ATAR students, with a small exception, are competing for places in Medicine, Dentistry, Law; the next top choices being Commerce, ... .
50 years ago you didn't have CEO's drawing obscene salaries like $5 million a year plus bonuses. The landscape has changed.
interesting how you've omitted science :(

funnytomato

HSC
In the last 20 years the intake quality of teachers have dropped - although this has changed somewhat. So instead of ATAR of say 72, many of the better unis (e.g. Syd & NSW) have teahing students with ATAR > 85?
yeah most b teaching/b subjectToTeach degrees have cut-offs in 70s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)