Discussion Thread for Atar Notes & other forums (1 Viewer)

donkily

HSC
N/A
Re: ATAR Notes vs Bored of Studies

that is replicated on both sites, that is expected. the mention on BoS is prohibited on AN as well.

in terms of your question thread, certainly the last 2 years (2015/2016), AN has probably more help for questions answered, as a large number of members here are older in years; however this year there seems to be more activity, it depends from year to year.

I would say the benefit of AN is yes mainly their study guides, which they sell. BoS doesn't have such front, and certainly nowadays tends to have less paid services.
iirc 2015 was a pilot program yr in testing how successful they would be and 2016 was they started implementing it (i think)

yea they pay their mods to run the site...as opposed to here....

donkily

HSC
N/A

better question answering service? Have you seen how dead the NSW sections are? If by better you mean answering the 1 question asked per day, then sure.
if u look at the english, science and esp humanities section of this forum, sometimes questions are left out and sometimes delayed. at AN you wouldnt really have this happening

D94

HSC
N/A

if u look at the english, science and esp humanities section of this forum, sometimes questions are left out and sometimes delayed. at AN you wouldnt really have this happening
Yes, some questions are left out because people either are asking for unreasonable things (i.e. tell me what technique is in this text, or solve my homework) or others just don't know the answer. You can't expect every question to be answered, especially the unreasonable questions.

Of course you wouldn't have that at AN because it's not hard to respond to the 1 new topic made per day for the entire NSW forum, in the attempt to make it appear a lot of people are active.

donkily

HSC
N/A

Well then here you go

i swear people are starting to use an because of this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

D94

HSC
N/A

Well then here you go

Funny because he did his HSC in 2014 and BoS was certainly around. It doesn't take much to find out about BoS so either he was completely oblivious or he is completely dishonest.

enoilgam

HSC

Well then here you go

It's interesting because I essentially felt the same way about BoS at one point. As Ive said many times in this thread, BoS is a user driven website and it would be nice to see this level of passion return amongst the userbase.

D94

HSC
N/A

d94

if there were so many articles out there which answered so many questions that literally no one needed to ask questions (e.g. someone made an article about studying which answered so many FAQ's such as "how many hours should i study per week") would this be considered helpful at all and if so how helpful would it be compared to people asking questions which get answered
You can learn more from getting different perspectives on a matter. Having an article might give the impression that this is the only answer to the question, when in reality, there may be other correct answers. Each person's situation differs, each question has a different context. Also, if there is just one thread to answer questions relating to an article, chances are questions won't be answered in as great a detail than if they were separate threads. A question can get lost 2-3 pages deep into a discussion and other questions might dominate the thread, so your question might not get much attention.

donkily

HSC
N/A

This forum has InteGrand, Atar Notes doesn't. Nuff said.
he only helps out with high school and uni maths though. not english, the sciences and all those other hsc subjects wheras you do get a lot of help for those subjects on atar notes

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR Notes Thread IMPORTANT NOTICE !!!

The moderating team has received reports that users who also have an account on AN, have been harassed over PM.
This thread will remain open, but has been moderated.

The BoS mod team welcomes any feedback and this thread will remain open for now. However this is not the place to vent frustrations or complaints against BoS and I'll even say as a matter of integrity, other competitor websites as well.

If you have an issue/feedback or something to report, please contact any of the mod team, preferrably posting in
http://community.boredofstudies.org/61/site-news-feedback-support/
or
http://community.boredofstudies.org/653/contact-moderators/

Concerns about AN should be raised respectfully here or taken directly to the mod team at the above links as well, as recent discussions appear to become a little bit out of hand.

PLEASE NOTE (EDIT 5/4/17):
As much as we would like people to use BoS, there are to be no comments or harassment based on a user's activity/non-activity here on BoS or whether they have an account on AN/or use AN or any other rival website.

There is a need to recognise every user has the freedom to use whatever HSC forum/discussion group they please.

Promotion of rival services is still not allowed. However, if you wish to discuss AN, you are welcome to here. However, please prevent "venting" or "flaming" (including passive aggression) as this is not helpful for discussion.

Thread will remain open, however moderators may decide to close/lock this thread if discussion gets out of hand in the future.

Thanks
dan.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Re: Comments on ATAR Notes Thread.

What the hell, the image got moved here??? What happened and why did it get moved

BTW if anyone was interested in that photo I posted, the photo was on the day ATAR notes got the most users ever and one of the Vic Mods came here, compared us to them and started showing off on how they had way more users that we did on that day

boredsatan

HSC

BoS has been around for longer than atar notes. Atar notes was officially launched on the 19th of October, 2007

donkily

HSC
N/A

BoS has been around for longer than atar notes. Atar notes was officially launched on the 19th of October, 2007
i think we all know that

also out of curiosity who does bos compete with besides an and those fb discussion groups?

and why would bos compete with those fb discussion groups, they're full of idiots who are trolling around with constant memes and i hardly see anyone asking serious questions

boredsatan

HSC

i think we all know that

also out of curiosity who does bos compete with besides an and those fb discussion groups?

and why would bos compete with those fb discussion groups, they're full of idiots who are trolling around with constant memes and i hardly see anyone asking serious questions
Do you ever use atar notes?

donkily

HSC
N/A

The thing with something like this is sustainability. As I said before, eventually Mods get older and they just cant keep providing this kind of service. It has to be a perpetual thing whereby new users come on and start providing the service. Ive always been an adherent to the logic that Mods dont create, they facilitate.
personally i think you could

even if you're old and still have knowledge from the hsc (i mean hsc content wise, not things like stress in the hsc, how many hours to study per week, etc) from subjects such as maths, the sciences, humanities, etc you still could help out hsc students. look at many of your teachers as an example, even though they did their hsc years ago (for most) although they cannot answer (accurately) how many hours to study per week and how to not stress, they have the knowledge of certain subjects (such as maths, science, etc) to help out people who need help in those subjects

say for example someone asked "i read this on the internet and get this but i do not understand how this works when this happens, please help" i think that even though your hsc was years ago you still would have the knowledge to answer the question

look at integrand as an example, no one knows much about him but assuming his final secondary schooling exam was aeons ago, he still helps out hsc students with maths but cannot really help out with "how to not stress in the hsc" and "how should I study for this subject"

donkily

HSC
N/A

I don't know whether you experienced this-but if you constantly help others over a significant period of time, you get drained out and become no good to anybody. I have had that experience as well, and as a result, I tend not to answer repetitive questions that have been asked many times before on the forum-when people could also have taken a bit more effort to search for previous answers, it is unrealistic and unfair to even suggest we are not doing our best and not pouring our hearts and soul to this community.

It is unfair to suggest that moderators should give help as a matter of people's right as users of this forum. We are not super humans and I think it is fair to say all the moderators is doing the very best they could given the circumstance, the very fact we are still on this website and still helping around despite our inability to change it is a testament to our commitment to our role. If our generation could all learn to be a bit more grateful, and take less things for granted, then we will all live better for it.
i havent had that feeling either...but....i will have to disagree with that

integrand has helped out so many maths students over the past 2.5 years (i assume since he joined in December 2014) and he still does. same goes with d94 who's answered so many scaling questions for the past idk how many years (i'll assume the same as integrand)

if people dont want to answer repetitive questions then the best bet is to make a word document with a Q+A of all the FAQs and then when someone asks a similar question, open the word document and copy and paste the response so then you dont have to spend so much time reanswering it

but i do agree, the mods are doing their best for this community

and (to some extent) mods should answer questions if they can, because questions being asked and answered is what gets the community moving (although other users who arent mods usually help)

although a mods duty isnt to help people but rather get the forum moving by moving threads to the appropriate places, addressing concerns from members in the community, etc they should help when others dont help

i think that if there are too many questions which are unanswered, people might be discouraged to ask questions hence wont bother even to use bos because they wont get the help they need

some uni students just leave and dont bother to help out but even those who stay dont seem to keen on helping (i think because they're too busy to help others)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)