Discussion (1 Viewer)

Yusra366

HSC
hey guys, so I have my bio assessment on Thursday which is 10 mc's and short answer and we are told to learn all of our content from mod 5 to mod 8 and do past paper qs. So I have done quite a lot of questions but the thing is I don't know how I am going to revise all my content because I have so many notes for each module and there's just soo much content. What usually do is memorise my notes but this time there's too many, so any advise on how I can revise my content in an effective way where I obtain all the knowledge and it doesn't take too long?

Yusra366

HSC
like these are the notes i have made and theres too much content

Attachments

Yusra366

HSC

Yusra366

HSC
and lastly, these ones (one of them didnt upload because file is too large) but basically i just don't know how to revise all this content cuz theres too much

Attachments

Leadmen4y

HSC
Wow, it's unusual for a school to test the entire syllabus prior to trials in an assessment.

Yusra366

HSC
Pay attention and actively participate in class and it should filter into your brain via osmosis.
we finished content, I am talking about if theres any advice on how to revise the content without having to cramming it all?

Leadmen4y

HSC
I would suggest to just memorise the important bits, which I just wrote down as I flipped through my own notes with some of my own examples.
Each line is basically a inquiry question/dot point, I didn't include ones that overlapped.

Module 5
Sexual & asexual, internal & external fertilisation, all types of reproduction in animals, plants (cross & self pollination), fungi (spores & budding), protists (budding & binary fission) & bacteria (binary fission), hormal control in mammals and some technology/techniques relates to agriculture (selective breeding, articial insemination etc).

Mitosis & meiosis, DNA replication.

Structure of DNA, polypeptide synthesis (transcription & translation).

Genetic drift, gene flow, types of dominance (autosomal, sex-linked, codominance, incomplete dominance, multiallelic), pedigrees & punnet squires, SNP.

DNA profiling (including gel electrophoresis & PCR) or DNA sequencing (the syllabus says, for example, meaning you choose either or both), population genetics (have an example for conservation management or inheritance of disease).

Module 6
Types of mutations (point & chromosomal), types of mutagens (radiation, chemicals, biological agents), somatic & germline, coding & non-coding, gene flow & genetic drift which is covered in Module 5 already.

Biotechnologies & genetic technologies overlap a lot so I'm just going to group them as one:

Social impact of biotechnology with an example from an animal and plant. (e.g., aquadvantage salmon, Bt cotton)

Ethical/negative impact of biotechnology. (e.g. bioterrorism, long-term effect, social disparities)

Future directions/potential benefits. (e.g. synthetic biotechnology, germline genetic modification)

Effect on biodiversity. (e.g. short term effect would be increased biodiversity due to introduction of new alleles into the gene pool, while long term effect would be decreased biodiversity due to monoculture/artificial selection)

Current genetic technologies, make sure you know the process and outcomes/benefits, how they impact humanity & environment. (e.g. IVF, GMOs)

Recombinant DNA, make sure you know what stick ends are (overhanging strands of DNA which can be fixed together through complementary base pairing through ligation/use of the enzyme - Ligase).

Also make sure you know a range of techniques/delivery methods for recombinant DNA: Physical/transinfection - biolistics/gene gun, microinjection; Transduction - viral vectors/modified viruses or bacteria, Transformation - bacterial plasmids (also used for gene cloning).

Artificial pollination & insemination which you should've covered in Module 5.

Whole-organism & gene cloning, make sure you know advantages & disadvantages (syllabus dot point says discuss).

Transgenics in agricultural and medical applications, make sure you distinguish transgenic & GMOs. (e.g. Bt cotton for agriculture, bacterial plasmid containing human insulin gene inserted into yeast for medical)

Have case studies/secondary sources which you can use to evaluate how society, economy and culture influence the use/effectiveness of biotechnologies. (e.g. selective pressure in specific geographical locations, financial gains from an implementation, religious/cultural stigma regarding GMOs or genetic technologies)

I haven't finished my Module 7 notes yet as my school just wrapped it up a week ago. I've tried my best to compress the syllabus as good as I could while mentioning everything you need to know, realistically there are no shortcuts so you should just get started and try your best.

Last edited:

Leadmen4y

HSC
we finished content, I am talking about if theres any advice on how to revise the content without having to cramming it all?
You'll have to for bio, but do it strategically, space it out. For instance, a module a day and day before do a few trials or HSC paper.

Yusra366

HSC
I would suggest to just memorise the important bits, which I just wrote down as I flipped through my own notes with some of my own examples.
Each line is basically a inquiry question/dot point, I didn't include ones that overlapped.

Module 5
Sexual & asexual, internal & external fertilisation, all types of reproduction in animals, plants (cross & self pollination), fungi (spores & budding), protists (budding & binary fission) & bacteria (binary fission), hormal control in mammals and some technology/techniques relates to agriculture (selective breeding, articial insemination etc).

Mitosis & meiosis, DNA replication.

Structure of DNA, polypeptide synthesis (transcription & translation).

Genetic drift, gene flow, types of dominance (autosomal, sex-linked, codominance, incomplete dominance, multiallelic), pedigrees & punnet squires, SNP.

DNA profiling (including gel electrophoresis & PCR) or DNA sequencing (the syllabus says, for example, meaning you choose either or both), population genetics (have an example for conservation management or inheritance of disease).

Module 6
Types of mutations (point & chromosomal), types of mutagens (radiation, chemicals, biological agents), somatic & germline, coding & non-coding, gene flow & genetic drift which is covered in Module 5 already.

Biotechnologies & genetic technologies overlap a lot so I'm just going to group them as one:

Social impact of biotechnology with an example from an animal and plant. (e.g., aquadvantage salmon, Bt cotton)

Ethical/negative impact of biotechnology. (e.g. bioterrorism, long-term effect, social disparities)

Future directions/potential benefits. (e.g. synthetic biotechnology, germline genetic modification)

Effect on biodiversity. (e.g. short term effect would be increased biodiversity due to introduction of new alleles into the gene pool, while long term effect would be decreased biodiversity due to monoculture/artificial selection)

Current genetic technologies, make sure you know the process and outcomes/benefits, how they impact humanity & environment. (e.g. IVF, GMOs)

Artificial pollination & insemination which you should've covered in Module 5.

Whole-organism & gene cloning, make sure you know advantages & disadvantages (syllabus dot point says discuss).

Transgenics in agricultural and medical applications, make sure you distinguish transgenic & GMOs. (e.g. Bt cotton for agriculture, bacterial plasmid containing human insulin gene inserted into yeast for medical)

Have case studies/secondary sources which you can use to evaluate how society, economy and culture influence the use/effectiveness of biotechnologies. (e.g. selective pressure in specific geographical locations, financial gains from an implementation, religious/cultural stigma regarding GMOs or genetic technologies)

I haven't finished my Module 7 notes yet as my school just wrapped it up a week ago. I've tried my best to compress the syllabus as good as I could while mentioning everything you need to know, realistically there are no shortcuts so you should just get started and try your best.
Your an actual legend!! Feel much better after seeing this thank you so much this is of great help

Yusra366

HSC
You'll have to for bio, but do it strategically, space it out. For instance, a module a day and day before do a few trials or HSC paper.
Ok so should I do either:
1. Module 7 tomorrow since its the longest, then mod 8 on Monday, mod 5 on Tuesday and mod 6 on Wednesday? and then for past paper qs our teacher is making us do them in class everyday so that way at home i can just focus on doing content. does that sound good? OR should i do:
2. mod 7 and mod 6 tomorrow, and then mod 8 on monday and mod 5 on tuesday and then revise all my content on wednesday and also do past paper qs on wednesday? because that way tomorrow i will cover the module with the longest notes and also the module with the shortest ones.
which plans sounds better to you?

Leadmen4y

HSC
Ok so should I do either:
1. Module 7 tomorrow since its the longest, then mod 8 on Monday, mod 5 on Tuesday and mod 6 on Wednesday? and then for past paper qs our teacher is making us do them in class everyday so that way at home i can just focus on doing content. does that sound good? OR should i do:
2. mod 7 and mod 6 tomorrow, and then mod 8 on monday and mod 5 on tuesday and then revise all my content on wednesday and also do past paper qs on wednesday? because that way tomorrow i will cover the module with the longest notes and also the module with the shortest ones.
which plans sounds better to you?
What are you most familiar with right now? To be honest it really depends. I think getting the hardest module out of the way is a good idea, the rest pretty much up to you, I'd skim over the last module you covered (which I assume is 8) every morning or during school rather than focus on it for an entire day (because you likely remember most of it since it's recent), then focus on recalling the earlier ones (especially 5 & 6 since you probably haven't touched them in a while, unless you regularly revise).

Module 7 is long, but honestly so as every other modules imo. Unless you struggle with it the most, I think it's just preference. But make sure you get the HARDEST/most UNFAMILIAR module out of the way ASAP, covering everything generally is better than being really good at one/two modules and horrible at another/others. As this allows you to answer most of the questions decently and getting about two thirds of the marks for the short answers and probably 8 or 9 out of 10 in your multiple choices. Which is usually better than scoring full for a set of short answer and zeroes for others that belong to a module you didn't cover.

I'd also recommend just skimming through a few papers to see which qs you know and don't know to identify the gaps in your knowledge, if you're unsure about your weak spots. Lastly, don't focus too much on the details that probably aren't relevant for high school bio (e.g., phosphodiester bonding between hydroxyl groups, structure of deoxyribose sugar and dehydration synthesis for DNA), I did this so much during note making which is just unnecessary and sucks up more time for actual revision for relevant materials. Especially because you're running out of time, and on your last day, no matter what, do some papers, as being able to put information onto the paper cohesively is what gets you marks.

Yusra366

HSC
What are you most familiar with right now? To be honest it really depends. I think getting the hardest module out of the way is a good idea, the rest pretty much up to you, I'd skim over the last module you covered (which I assume is 8) every morning or during school rather than focus on it for an entire day (because you likely remember most of it since it's recent), then focus on recalling the earlier ones (especially 5 & 6 since you probably haven't touched them in a while, unless you regularly revise).

Module 7 is long, but honestly so as every other modules imo. Unless you struggle with it the most, I think it's just preference. But make sure you get the HARDEST/most UNFAMILIAR module out of the way ASAP, covering everything generally is better than being really good at one/two modules and horrible at another/others. As this allows you to answer most of the questions decently and getting about two thirds of the marks for the short answers and probably 8 or 9 out of 10 in your multiple choices. Which is usually better than scoring full for a set of short answer and zeroes for others that belong to a module you didn't cover.

I'd also recommend just skimming through a few papers to see which qs you know and don't know to identify the gaps in your knowledge, if you're unsure about your weak spots. Lastly, don't focus too much on the details that probably aren't relevant for high school bio (e.g., phosphodiester bonding between hydroxyl groups, structure of deoxyribose sugar and dehydration synthesis for DNA), I did this so much during note making which is just unnecessary and sucks up more time for actual revision for relevant materials. Especially because you're running out of time, and on your last day, no matter what, do some papers, as being able to put information onto the paper cohesively is what gets you marks.
This is honestly the best advice. Thank you so much for this I really appreciate it 🙏🏽

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)