Distance between rankings (1 Viewer)

Tom2nv

HSC
hey i was just wondering is the distance between ranking a significant factor in whether your internal mark is high or low, say for example 2nd in a subject but 10% away from first does dat mean ur internal mark can not be within 10% of the person ranked first. Any help appreciated

helper

HSC
N/A
The relative gaps between everyone in the class is significant but these are then moderated by the final HSC exam marks.

So if your classes HSC marks are closer than the assessments sent in, then the gap will drop to less than 10%

Tom2nv

HSC
Ah ok so what your saying is depending on the gaps between ranks in the HSC exam, this will determine the distance between the ranks and marks you receive rather than the distance between the ranks sent in by the school. Cause i always thought for the assessment mark the distance is maintained for the assessment side of the mark from what was sent in rather than the distance between the ranks in the actual HSC exam in order to reward the students whom were consistent throughout the year.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
when ppl talk about rankigns they talk of standard deviations...is this the distance between each person?

helper

HSC
N/A
Tom2nv said:
Ah ok so what your saying is depending on the gaps between ranks in the HSC exam, this will determine the distance between the ranks and marks you receive rather than the distance between the ranks sent in by the school. Cause i always thought for the assessment mark the distance is maintained for the assessment side of the mark from what was sent in rather than the distance between the ranks in the actual HSC exam in order to reward the students whom were consistent throughout the year.
The proportions will stay about the same. Say there is a 10% 1st to 2nd and 20% 3rd to forth. After moderation there will still be about twice the difference 2 t o3 in comparison 1 to 2

Tom2nv

HSC
Ok so say i receive 88 for the exam side of the HSC mark and im 2nd by 10% and say 1st gets 91. Does dat mean my assessment mark will not be within 81 as thats 10 marks short of 1st place and hence the gap remains. SO if that was the case 81+88/2 = 85 for HSC mark. Would i be correct assuming that. Any help is appreciated

Tom2nv

HSC
ah ok but how does dat cater for the gap which was maintained throughout the school based assessments isnt there some kind of reward for consitency throughout the year

Tom2nv

HSC
ah ok but how does that cater for the gap which was maintained throughout the school based assessments, isnt there some kind of reward for consistency throughout the year

helper

HSC
N/A
Absolute gaps aren't maintained, only relative gaps. The absolute size of a gap is dependent on how your school marks its tasks. This is what moderation is removing and making them comparable across the state.

Ahboys

HSC
You need to do well in your HSC because if your second and beat the person ranked first then they get your mark for their assesment and you get second.You still keep your mark for the HSC so it is very important to do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)