distance - Doing economics by yourself. (1 Viewer)

dragondilesh

HSC
Well. Im in a little issue here.

The situation goes.

A. I would like to do Economics
B. My school does not offer economics
C. Next Door does (there is a school next to mine)
D. If undertaking economics over there will result in 1/6 of my course lost.
E. Since unable to do economics in the other school i will do distance and correspond with the other school. (BTW im dropping chem for it so those free periods are my economic study periods but some i can sit in the lessons at the other school.
F. My distance form is going to be sent tomorrow.

This now comes to the final point.

Is there a good way to do individual study. Ive got a few good textbooks (excel and one other one). And any techniques or tips to offer.

LordPc

HSC
"If undertaking economics over there will result in 1/6 of my course lost"

I dont understand this part.

Best advice would be to stay away from the Bulmer textbooks if you are working by yourself because a lot of information in there is not even in the syllabus and a lot of the book is quite hard to understand, so it might just end up confusing you.

rajputsingh

HSC
Use Tim Reily- he has the most detailed economics book that you need with all current statistics (for the year it was published) and has handy chapter summaries at the end of each chapter and multiple choice, short answer and extended response questions in the HSC format

dragondilesh

HSC
"If undertaking economics over there will result in 1/6 of my course lost"

I dont understand this part.

Best advice would be to stay away from the Bulmer textbooks if you are working by yourself because a lot of information in there is not even in the syllabus and a lot of the book is quite hard to understand, so it might just end up confusing you.
ill lose 1/6 cause it clashes with other subjects my bad.

Use Tim Reily- he has the most detailed economics book that you need with all current statistics (for the year it was published) and has handy chapter summaries at the end of each chapter and multiple choice, short answer and extended response questions in the HSC format
my school gave me that book.

2008 as well :D

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
how does one do distance education

btw: good luck
Work booklets are sent to you to via a correspondence teacher (at the start of every term so you'd get 10 or 11). You're meant to read through one booklet per week (which usually covers one or more topics at a time). There are questions in the booklet, sometimes from 2-7 questions each week with questions within questions like a, b, c etc.

When you complete a booklet, you post it off to your correspondence teacher who will mark it and send it back. Sometimes there are extra curricular activities or questions involved such as cooking/sewing and sending photos of evidence in subjects like Food Technology/Textiles & Design.

You can call your teacher and vice-versa. Video conferences can also be arranged. Your correspondence teacher is also meant to visit you occasionally to check on you in person.

An assigned teacher at your own school assists you in working these things out, at your end.

Helpful enough - http://community.boredofstudies.org/2/school/193094/distance-education.html

Or just my post from that thread - http://community.boredofstudies.org/3953461/post-10.html

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
If you think you are passionate about economics, then why not do distance education. It takes some time to get used to the sitting down and doing it, ie independent learning. But i should get better.

If you don't like how distance education is going after 2 or 3 weeks, just go back to chemistry.

Iain Hewitson

HSC
Don't use Tim Reilly. Yes it has updated statistics, but you don't need updated statistics to learn basic economics + it lacks concise notes.

Use Dixon (I think it is), much more concise and easier to grasp. If you want to use Reilly just buy an old one. The only thing Reilly changes in each yearly edition is generally statistics and a few words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)