Distance Education (1 Viewer)

jirwin

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently thinking about doing a course through Open Universities Australia. I started a course at Newcastle University but discovered that Visual Communication isn't for me - so I've done heaps of research and the only course that I really like is from Curtin Uni in WA - B Arts (Internet Studies)(Internet Design). I can do it direct from Curtin or through Open Universities Australia.

Both have their pros and cons. Curtin - I have more options for electives but I have to pay $44 just to apply. Open Uni - not as many electives but I'm like guaranteed a position to be able to do the course still.

So what I would like is that anyone that has done university or knows anyone that has done it through distance education (whether a whole degree or just subjects/courses) could post their experiences, tips, hints, advice etc. I'm just trying to prepare or get to know as much about distance education and what I am getting myself into before I actually start (planning on starting through Open Universities in September then next year I'll make the full commitment to the course and whatever pathway (Curtin or Open) that I think is best).

Anway thanks in advance!

Jess.

jirwin

HSC
it is when u can "apply" for $0. and the $44 doesnt exactly guarantee u a spot - u're competing with all the WA students - exactly like UAC in NSW.

oh and i personally think $44 is 'a lot' in this case especially. WA students only have to pay $20.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
You miss out on a lot of the uni "experience" by doing Distance Education, but distance is obviously a lot more flexible so that you can combine full-time work in your chosen field as well as study, and its because of these links that some students cend up with really good marks.

Depends very much on the course you're taking, and the type of person you are and your ability to study more independently.

If you have the option to do a course at Curtin, and aren't employed in the field, then go for the course at Curtin.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I just think not paying the $44 limits your options and that might be frustrating in a few years down the track when u are picking your electives.

$44 is nothing when you think about how it could improve your employability. Its an investment.

I invest $1000+ each year just in textbooks, in subjects I dont think I'll practice in because it is an investment which will improve my income.

Last edited:

blerkles

HSC
N/A
jirwin said:
Open Uni - not as many electives but I'm like guaranteed a position to be able to do the course still.
The OUA-entry course allows you to have 8 free electives... you can do Art, Public Relations, Commerce, Criminology, Accounting, Sociology, Logistics, IT, Philosophy, etc.... so surely there is a fabulous choice electives there.

Plus, although the OUA site lists the Internet Design minor, but you can do a minor in Online Journalism, Media Policy and Culture, Media Practice, General Programming, Internet Programming, Information Systems. Actually, email the course co-ordinator (at Curtin) to see if you can design your own minor (but you'll find that there probably are restrictions in terms of 200 and 300 level subjects).

Some of the OUA affliated uni's treat their OUA students poorly but Curtin (I did the Internet Design - Introduction unit with them) are really good, they are used to external studies (some of the other uni's just don't get it), heard nothing but praise for them in relation to the Internet Studies OUA course.

OUA also good because they have 4 study periods a year. If you do 2 subjects at a time, that's a full-time load. I know some people doing 4 subjects at once, all four study periods (no holidays ppl!), which means they will graduate in 1.5 years (assuming they don't burn out in the meantime). Also, you can do as many (within reason) or as few units (i.e. none) during a study period if you want, so there's no begging for a leave of absence if you get pregnant/someone dies/you have to go to hospital/etc. You have max 10 years in which to finish. Pretty flexible, hey? Pretty piece of paper at the end is the exact same as a direct-to-Curtin student. Fees are comparable to HECS places (for undergrad subjects only, postgrad is pricey) and can be delayed using FEE-HELP (similar to HECS-HELP).

Distance Ed does require a lot of self-motivation, but if you have come across some bad lecturers on-campus, you will find that that is required for uni no matter how you are doing it. It helps if you have your own personal social life so you aren't reliant on the on-campus uni experience to meet other humans face-to-face.

Hope that helps.

jirwin

HSC
Thanks heaps Blerkles! Helped alot.
I was kinda unsure about the elective/minor thing - as OUA just says Internet Studies and Internet Design but i had read on Curtin about the other minors. I'll look into it more.
Thanks again :)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
OUA is more for people 30+ who have missed they chance to do uni after leaving school due to having a kid/low TER/trade/other reasons

44$ is nothing at all compared to the net cost of uni

blerkles

HSC
N/A
On the forums at OUA, there is a 16 year old doing a degree, some people are 50-60 and doing it for personal reasons, a lot have young kids. Actually found the most common group to be 22-29 year olds who didn't know what they wanted to do when they first left high school and have since 'found their way'.

I've already got a degree (that I got in on TER plus previous studies), but I use OUA now for the flexibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)