Distance education. (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
where can you download these notes?
my brother is thinking of doing distance ed.
http://www.lmpc.edu.au/default.html

thats where i got them from, but the site appears to be down... although i should say that they don't have notes for every course. but the ones they do have are pretty darn good. they have sciences, general maths, food tech, engineering studies, and some others

HSC
i do physics by distance ed.... if i actually get into it and do it, it doesn't take me too long, but often i'll be rushing to do it at the end of the week cos i didnt do it earlier...

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am currently doing distance education in year 10 advanced mathematics, i accelerated and the only option was to do distance.

It is extremely boring, extremely easy, extremely depressing. I went into year 10 maths because i have a passion for mathematics. Distance Education almost destroyed my passion as it is boring, time consuming, to easy and a waste of time. Fortunatly my passion was not destroyed as i picked up a year 11 extension 1 math text which is extremely satisfying.

Rating:

Hardness: 1/10
Waste of time: 10/10
Motavting 0/10

It is crap, a waste of time, a waste of money and a passion killer!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
and through this webste you learn everything??

nononono.

Thats just the webpage.
They send you work, and you speak to them on the phone.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I did Indonesian (yr 9-12 course) from when i was in yr 8 - 11 at Open High, finished my HSC last year. My teacher was lovely.... but pretty much you have to teach yourself and when you have no one to practice the language with face to face it is a killer, really hard to be motivated to do the work too..

Tutorial days were good, but I only ever went to two of them seeing as I live 7 hours away from The Open Highschool.

wisequaker87

HSC
I do all my subjects by OTEN (distance) as I'm 20 and they didn't offer the subjects I wanted at a local TAFE. I find it hard to stay motivated too. The work isn't heaps hard, but it's easy to just keep 'putting it off' all the time.. like...now. Haha. I should be doing my Assessment 1 tasks, but instead I'm sat here typing messages on boredofstudies *sigh*

C

Chrisssss

Anyone else doing distance ed?

E.g. Sydney Distance Ed. ?
Not bad for previous years, however for the HSC it's definitely disadvantageous. I started doing it a few years ago, initially for a medical reason (which may have been slightly exaggerated in order to start distance ed. [I hated school primarily due to moronic other students]) and it worked quite well even in the school certificate. While you have teachers who you can go in and see and even ask Q's over the phone I regret not going to some mainstream school in order to have actual classes and such; too much time gets wasted looking things up in books and the internet which in class you could simply ask the teacher and get a response in a few secs. Plus time management is more difficult, the home environment isn't the best to teach yourslef all the HSC content etc. Anyone else doing this crap?

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
Re: Anyone else doing distance ed?

I do a few subjects through DE.
I think it would depend on the way you learn (i learn better reading it and then writing it).
It's also hard to know how you're going compared to everyone else.
Extremely hard to get motivated - It's start of week 4 and i haven't done one week of Religion and only like 2 weeks of Bio.
Being at home wouldn't be a good idea, there'd be too many distractions.

C

Chrisssss

Wtf happened to this thread? Where was it moved from and how did the original post end up at the end? (I'm quite sure I posted it in General discussion).
Anyway the way it works for me is for each subject they send you 1 booklet each week. Each topic is approximately 6 booklets, thus 6 weeks. Holidays are the same as with normal schools. There are also, for science subjects, things called study days where you go in and complete the mandatory prac, I just had one for chemistry yesterday and one for physics tomorrow. And the people who do distance ed. are generally people who's regular schools don't offer the subject, they have a medicla reason resitricting there ability to go to regular school, or they live too far away from school. Motivation at first was hard, the booklets aren't too hard (depending on what subject) althugh as I said the home isn't the best place to do all school work. I do Physics, Chemistry, Maths (2-unit), Biology and English Adv.

I'll tell you a kick ass thing though, people who do it for medical reasons get some centrelink payment known as "Assistance for Isolated Children", $3200 a year. I get that (technically my mum gets it though she gives it to me since I do the schooling). Also I HAD a medical reason years ago though we're family friends with the Dr so he updated the notes needed anyway. Ha ha ha, good money.

HSC
risole91 said:
theres many reasons.

Tennis players do it, so we can train all day.
Some people do single courses, because of line clashes & courses not offered at school.
Yeah thats what my sister does for tennis to!, unfortanetly for her she started in year ten and did 4 years pathways for 11 and 12, being doing it for a long time (only finishing this year when she was meant to finish in 06) and she hates it lol although distance ed is cathing up with technology and using the computer for sending work and boards and stuff or so ive heard

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
the name i want said:
Yeah thats what my sister does for tennis to!, unfortanetly for her she started in year ten and did 4 years pathways for 11 and 12, being doing it for a long time (only finishing this year when she was meant to finish in 06) and she hates it lol although distance ed is cathing up with technology and using the computer for sending work and boards and stuff or so ive heard
oh wow, whats your sisters name?

wisequaker87

HSC
Re: Anyone else doing distance ed?

I'm doing my HSC with OTEN for medical reasons too ( well actually similar reasons to Chrisssss - Something to do with moronic students or something.. haha) I don't find it too bad. I do miss being able to just stick my hand up and get an instant answer, but it is so much more flexi. You can do work when you feel like it, for as long as you feel like it, and you can have days off without having to catch up on work you missed in class. It works for me.

I did predetermine the difficulty of self-teaching though so dropped all my extension subjects so it wouldn't be as demanding. I recommend this, unless you are particularly wonderful at a subject.

I get packs sent to me about 3 times a year, and then I just work through it at my own pace. I do 4 subjects... there are 2 open book assessments for each subject and 1 supervised assessment as well as usual trials and hsc exams. Each subject also requires 6-8 assignments to be completed and posted to OTEN for marking.

I'd say motivation, self-teaching and lack of sociality are the main negatives as far as distance ed goes, but the flexibility, convenience and ready collated resource packs are a definite plus, so it all evens out in the end :)

peggy13

HSC
I'm doing my whole HSC by distance ed through a distance ed school in Queanbeyan. I started in my prelim year, last year.

I'm doing it because I'm living overseas with my parents but I'm coming home after the trials to sit the final exams at my old school.

I only just thought of looking on here for other people doing distance ed...took me long enough.

I think it's a pretty sweet deal until you get behind, then it's a massive pain in the ass.
But the teachers i have are pretty understanding about it all and dont seem to mind that much as long as I'm understanding it all.
All of my work is sent on paper not via the internet, which i prefer personally. All my contact with my teachers is by email though.
I don't regret at all taking my opportunity to come over here but i do miss normal school a lot, it's much easier to stay on top and you have teachers you can ask straight away not waiting days for a reply.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)