distance from university.. (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Wow, glad to see that I'm not the only one that travels 3 hours each way between home and uni.

Numero Uno

HSC
Yeah i also have a similar problem, it takes me 1.5 hours to get to uni , although if i get a car itll take me around ~35 mins to get to uni

so im leaning towards getting a car just to save time

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Probably ~50-55 minutes for me to get to UNSW (5 min walk to the station + 30 min train ride to Central + 15 min bus ride). By car, probably 25-30 mins using the Eastern Distributor, but obviously more expensive than public transport. The other day it took me 55 minutes to get into the uni, which wasn't too bad considering there was no Express bus and the trains were only running every 10 minutes.

lala2

Banned
HSC
20 mins to bus stop, 10 min ride to station, 30-45 min train ride to Central (depending how lucky I am), 5 min to USYD by bus--that's about 1 hour one way. 2 hours of travelling each day. 3 hours I guess is a bit excessive, but again, good to catch up on study and/or sleep.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Abtari said:
well, yes, a car is a significant investment. if you buy a cheap one, you'll end up forking out lots of dough for maintenance, smash repairs, rego, fuel and such..

if you buy a more decent one, itll end up costing more..

and either way, there are the parking fees..

so money wise, public transport is better..

but time wise, i think they are similar (in peak traffic, would a bus+train = car?)

but independence/reliability/comfort wise, car obviously..

thats my pros-cons analysis... any additions?

oh, and um, with a B Engineering degree, are u srsly stuck at university from 9-4 5 days a week? noooooo...can't u manage ur timetable so that u have like a 4 day university week??
You also can't have sex on a train.

I have to travel 90+ minutes to get to UNSW. 90 x 2 x 3 days/week = almost as long as my contact hours.

Abtari

HSC
y do i get the feeling that most uni students who have transportation/distance problems go to unsw...

do students from other unis have such distance probs, or is it predominantly unsw students since unsw is sorta in 'woop-woop'..

i mean usyd is fairly central, i mean redfern..next to central, anyway :p

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, transport was one of the things that swayed me to usyd. Admittedly its not much of a difference; UNSW involves an extra mode of transport, but after a busy day of uni, i would want to just get home asap. But yeh it was one of many considerations.

Train to Usyd from where i live is 15 minutes, and then a 10 min walk from redfern.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
If I went to USyd, I'm guessing it'd still take me ~40-50 minutes (5 mins to the train station + 30 mins to Redfern + 10-15 mins walk to USyd or 5 mins by bus), so I'd save 15 minutes which isn't really much in the scheme of things...it wasn't really enough to convince me to go to USyd :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I don't go to UNSW, but I think your mode of transport has a lot to do with how difficult you find it.

Eg, I drive about 50 or so minutes each way, and I find that to be a lot harder than it would be to sit on the train for an hour and a half or whatever...at least if you're using public transport, you can get a bit of work done in that time, you don't have to sit there concentrating on driving...my travel time is dead time, yours can be productive.

HSC
Wow i can't believe how long some of you guys travel everyday. Crazy. I live in Maitland (2 hours to sydney by train) and staying at home this year was never even discussed - so i'm going to stay on campus. I get train sick...:eek:

Abtari

HSC
Rafy said:
lol, transport was one of the things that swayed me to usyd. Admittedly its not much of a difference; UNSW involves an extra mode of transport, but after a busy day of uni, i would want to just get home asap. But yeh it was one of many considerations.

Train to Usyd from where i live is 15 minutes, and then a 10 min walk from redfern.

wot u gonna study rafy?

oh, and congrats on ur new 'orange' status

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Abtari said:
wot u gonna study rafy?

oh, and congrats on ur new 'orange' status
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH ORANGE STATUS CONGRATS RAFY!!!!!!!

Rafy is doing B Economics at USyd. Gonna meet him a couple of times in some lectures...lol

tell me abtari, what offer you got know? a b engineering at unsw? scholarship?

Abtari

HSC
nah.. thinkin about b engineering at unsw cos medsci is not a professional course

EDIT: not authentic sources, but heard macq medsci isn't its strength..

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i drove to the enrollment today, about 20mins...not as bad as i thought it would be, but i might take public transport, form what i heard about and hour and a half.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i drove to the enrollment today, about 20mins...not as bad as i thought it would be, but i might take public transport, form what i heard about and hour and a half.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)