Distance issues (1 Viewer)

hApPy1

HSC
Right so my first preference is at Macquarie- followed by many other much wanted preferences at Macquarie- one big problem...ITS TOO DAMN FAR FROM WHERE I LIVE!

gah!

moving is NOT an option and i really really really really really really really need to end up at Macquarie! you see, i live in the shire (cronulla etc) and according to the city rail trip planner it would take me approximately an hour and a half on public transport to get there...gah! so an average 8:30am start would have me out of bed at like 6am! or earlier!

has anyone had a similar issue? how did u handle it?

thanx guys

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hApPy1 said:
Right so my first preference is at Macquarie- followed by many other much wanted preferences at Macquarie- one big problem...ITS TOO DAMN FAR FROM WHERE I LIVE!

gah!

moving is NOT an option and i really really really really really really really need to end up at Macquarie! you see, i live in the shire (cronulla etc) and according to the city rail trip planner it would take me approximately an hour and a half on public transport to get there...gah! so an average 8:30am start would have me out of bed at like 6am! or earlier!

thanx guys
lol my friend took 3 hours to get to uni everyday on public transport for a year 2-3 times a week... she hated it and it was stressful, she couldn't have a drink with us or have dinner with us after class or stay at the library too long because she'de get home too late...I suggest you drive matie, its the best way to get to uni, ur car also serves as a locker (DO NOT LEAVE LAP TOPS OR VALUABLES OR N E THING IN THE CAR, THERES A CAR THEFT RING GOING ON RIGHT NOW)

hApPy1

HSC
omg 3 hours! daym...yeah im thinking ill travel with my car now and spend a million on petrol...oh well...its worth it with the BA psych-law degree...not sure i even want to do law but ill prolly transfer into BA-Psyche...would that cost me heaps to do that?

GAH! me and my dad just had teh biggest argument over whether one (anyone) can access a timetable for someone doing this degree (or any for that matter). I say no, he insists (on no grounds) that u can....it would be very appreciated if anyone could clear this up...

Thanx Clairegirl :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
from the shire it's probbaly best that you drive, you could probably cut that travel time in half

X

xeuyrawp

hApPy1 said:

gah!

thanx guys

Things to keep in mind:

1. Travelling an hour and a half actually isn't that bad, if you're organised. Asylum lives in like Penrith. You just need to plan and make sure you pack the night before.

2. You probably wouldn't start at 8:30. If you did, it wouldn't be for every day all year -- maybe one 8:30 start a week, depending.

3. Many subjects' lectures can be downloaded; with many subject's tutorials being scattered throughout the week/througout the day -- so between timetabling your tutorials and downloading your lectures, you should be sweet.

4. It sounds bad, but you can always pick subjects based on a good timetable. Obviously you wouldn't pick a subject just for the fact that it's at a good time, but you can keep it in mind.

5. Does the trip planner screw you around? I mean, there are a few direct trains from the Shire to Chatswood. Depsite it thinking so, you can get a bus from Chatswood station directly to the uni (565). From memory, the trip planner likes to say 'go to central, change to epping, get a bus from epping', when it should so 'go to chatswood, get a bus'. I double checked, it says this:

Dep: 9:05 CityRail Route: BONDI JCT LINE Route Diagram | Alternative Times
Cronulla Station Map this Leg
Arr: 9:50
Redfern Station Map this Point
walk 60 metres Map this Walk
train Dep: 9:57 CityRail Route: NORTH SHORE LINE Route Diagram | Alternative Times
Redfern Station Map this Leg
Arr: 10:26
Eastwood Station Map this Point
walk 90 metres Map this Walk
bus Dep: 10:32 Sydney Buses Route: 545 Route Diagram | Alternative Times
Eastwood Station, Railway Nr Ethel Map this Leg
Arr: 10:41
Macquarie University, Set Down Terminus Map this Point
when getting a direct train is possible.

I hate that site, anyway, it always neglects really obvious alternatives; like getting a train from the Shire to Town Hall, then getting a bus from teh QVB to Macquarie. That would probably take bout an hour and a quarter in peak-hour.

But yes, don't trust that stupid site. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Actually i live like in Parramatta :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, i'll add that when i used to catch the bus, it would take me 2 hours to get to uni, because where i live, there was only one bus heading into parramatta centre, and only one heading from there to uni.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hApPy1 said:

gah!

thanx guys
I takes me the best part of 2 hours to get to USyd everyday, and my starts are all at 8 or 9 o'clock.

I suggest you deal with it.

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
I takes me the best part of 2 hours to get to USyd everyday, and my starts are all at 8 or 9 o'clock.

Ouch -- where do you live?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Or get a train to town hall, then a 506 which goes directly to macquarie uni.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
it would take me 1.5 hrs by public transport; bus to station, then bus to macquarie. you manage it fine...have iLectures with you or use taht time to sleep.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well I face a similar issue as you (I'm a shireling as well *cries with shame*) but it realy isn't that bad - the quickest way is to get a train to townhall/central then change over to Chatswood and get a bus from there to MQ(there's heaps of buses heading that way).

*If* you mismanage things than yes it can get sucky but it seriously isn't that bad, I mean look at it like this - you would have had to go to central anyway if you went to USYD or UTS so thats half the trip that would have had to have been done regardless(and UOW is as far away from us as Central), so what you really are fussing over is a train ride from Central to Chatswood station and a ten minute bus.

X

xeuyrawp

mr_brightside said:
Or get a train to town hall, then a 506 which goes directly to macquarie uni.
The other ones (268 or something?) are a bit quicker than the 506, I find.

X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
Well I face a similar issue as you (I'm a shireling as well *cries with shame*) but it realy isn't that bad - the quickest way is to get a train to townhall/central then change over to Chatswood and get a bus from there to MQ(there's heaps of buses heading that way).

*If* you mismanage things than yes it can get sucky but it seriously isn't that bad, I mean look at it like this - you would have had to go to central anyway if you went to USYD or UTS so thats half the trip that would have had to have been done regardless(and UOW is as far away from us as Central), so what you really are fussing over is a train ride from Central to Chatswood station and a ten minute bus.
Aren't people from the Shire actually called Hobbits?

Anyway, you're exactly right -- you just need to organise yourself properly and leave a lot of time to ensure you catch the right train/bus. Also, have some reading to do on the transport.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Aren't people from the Shire actually called Hobbits?
Shoosh! That information is classified!:p

somecooldude

HSC
withoutaface said:

2 hours?? so where is 22 acacia avenue?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*hits head*

Its an Iron Maiden song

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)