Distinction Courses (1 Viewer)

andyn

HSC
hey
well.... my school is offering distinction courses but dunno if i shud take it up.... sooo anyone with advice? wat was it like? for the people who did it, would u recommend it? atm i'm stuck between philosophy and cosmology

Last edited:

ekirii

iota
HSC
do it.

i would but i dont think our school has started offering yet. also not sure which one i would select. probably either philo or comparative lit.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I absolutely, 100%, whole-heartedly recommend that you guys take up Cosmology. This is a completely unbiased view, to say at the very least.

Make sure that you guys do fill the expression of interest forms for the Distinction Course Open Day held later this year and if you really want questions answered, you can PM me or search the preliminary and school forums for viewpoints on it, including my own. Anything I send to you via PM will probably be just a rehash of what you can find in the forums anyway :)

EDIT: Due to recent anti-bias measures forced against me, I must say that Philosophy and Comparitive Literature are also valid choices for Distinction Courses, and will both give similar experiences (of which most are overwhelmingly positive) to the Cosmology Distinction Course. The important thing is that you try out and apply for the courses, no matter what one you decide to do.

Last edited:

ekirii

iota
HSC
just wondering about cosmology. most ppl i've heard talk about it say it's the best of the three.

i dont tend towards science or anything in that department. i don't mind it but i dont think i'd study it.

how close is cosmology with that?

SoulSearcher

HSC
Well, Cosmology, it does not really delve into the sciences as such. It will take some knowledge of physics and chemistry, but any of that knowledge needed will be provided through the modules or is basic information that you can look up in most textbooks.

It is not really a science as much as it is an exploration into the depths of the universe, the ideas that humans have come up with to try and explain what they observe in the universe and the observations, processes and developments made that have lead to the continued progress made in the field of cosmology and takes a look into what future developments can be made towards our understanding of the universe. It looks into humanity's fascination with the universe; and not only the models and ideas that we have developed to explain it, but the reasons as to why we even try to bother to come up with ideas and create these models.

Hope that helps a bit with your thoughts :)

ekirii

iota
HSC
thanks for that.

i guess i'm really going to have to keep options open. i'll just apply and see what happens.

SoulSearcher

HSC
Indeed, I suggest you talk with current and former students about the courses, find out what you cover in each of the courses, decide which one interests you the most, then place that as your first preference when you apply to do one of the courses. Whatever one you do decide to do, if you get in, I am sure that you will not regret doing it :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Would have loved* to done Cosmology :(

Last edited:

beentherdunthat

HSC
Kujah said:
Would have lvoed to done Cosmology :(
Totally. Or philosophy me thinks. If you have the chance to do the distinction course andyn, then def. go for it ;)

The D.O.C

HSC
IM actually thinking about doin cosmology has anyone allready done it and have and useful information ragarding the course and what its like?
much thanx

ekirii

iota
HSC
SoulSearcher talked about it further up and i'm sure he wouldn't mind answering more questions.

but then again, who am i to know what anyone else thinks? lol, but they all sound so interesting!

i'll probably go do a reading again (last time i did, i decided not to listen to it and picked french over chem and have regretted it ever since. i damn myself).

SoulSearcher

HSC
ekirii said:
SoulSearcher talked about it further up and i'm sure he wouldn't mind answering more questions.

but then again, who am i to know what anyone else thinks? lol, but they all sound so interesting!
Pretty much what she said, except you'll have to PM me for the information, as I rarely have time to fully answer any queries in one go, and hence why a public post would not work :p

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Pretty much what she said, except you'll have to PM me for the information, as I rarely have time to fully answer any queries in one go, and hence why a public post would not work :p
hay now, this doesn't make too much sense. You have the time to repeat the same information to god-knows how many people in separate PMs, but not to make one public post?

Philosophy sounds really interesting. I'd assume it to be better than the 1u board-endorsed subject ;)

SoulSearcher

HSC
Jachie said:
hay now, this doesn't make too much sense. You have the time to repeat the same information to god-knows how many people in separate PMs, but not to make one public post?

Philosophy sounds really interesting. I'd assume it to be better than the 1u board-endorsed subject ;)
Yeah, because I don't usually stay on BoS long enough to make one public post in one hit, but I've got time to type up information and send it to anyone who wants it, as it doesn't require me to be on BoS for a long period of time. Of course, you will ask why I don't post this information publically after I type it, and my reply to that is that I'm really fucking lazy :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
SPAM! SPAM! SPAAAAAAAM!

Yeah, because I don't usually stay on BoS long enough to make one public post in one hit, but I've got time to type up information and send it to anyone who wants it, as it doesn't require me to be on BoS for a long period of time. Of course, you will ask why I don't post this information publically after I type it, and my reply to that is that I'm really fucking lazy
ITT next time you respond to someone's PM, you copy/paste your reply in this thread too. just to satisfy the curious cats out there. :cool:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)