• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Distractions from studying (1 Viewer)

gumdrops

I don't have the best group of friends at school and I cope a lot of slack from them. They're materialistic and not the brightest people either. I don't have a lot in common with them anymore, and sometimes I wonder why I became "friends" with them in the first place. Most of the time they just bitch about people.

When I try to study, I always get distracted because they say negative things about me in front of me and they're not joking either. There is this other group of people that I hang around with occassionally and would rather be with, but I get paid out by my other "friends" for doing so.

This sounds stupid, but what should I do? :confused:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Friends will not get you a job.

Just ignore their immature comments and tell them that the only reason why you are in year 11/12 is because you want to finish the best you can.

Its like l tell my friends that l don't pay thousands of dollars a year just to sit on my arse and bludge.

Tell them that if they want to bludge, then they are more than welcome to, but when your future is involved, tell them to back off.

If your in year 12, l'd tell them what you think of them - if they aren't good friends it doesn't matter because you only have a few weeks left. I know this sounds really mean and a bad thing to think, but lets face it, they aren't doing you any favours.

If your in year 11, then its different, after all, your spending a whole year with them still, so just tell them how you feel...

Hope this helps.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
maybe spend more time with this other group of people if you like them better .. sit with them in classes and at lunch and stuff, but still say hi to your friends and stuff and be nice to them, dont give them a reason to be mean to you.

i have a similiar thing to you by the sound of it but not as bad. i am a member of the schools "popular" group of who dont study and skip classes and bitch and are cool, but then i am also friends with this group of girls who are nice and do their schoolwork. Anyways I have managed a balance between both groups and I would have to say it is cool! I get all the parties and little things that come along with being friends with all the cool girls but I still study and know other people … see if you can work something out … and if your friends always turn everything into a bitchfest I feel for you .. maybe you really should become frienz with other people completely.

I hope I have managed to help you a little and good luck with sorting it out

alisa

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
not exactly friends are they?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
break a table or chair infront of them scary hah? or, orrr grab a pen and stab one of them in the neck

QUOTE ME!! :uhhuh:

nerd2die4

HSC
sam04u said:
break a table or chair infront of them scary hah? or, orrr grab a pen and stab one of them in the neck

QUOTE ME!! :uhhuh:
okay .

gumdrops

hipsta_jess said:
i think its pretty damn obvious...
I know it sounds obvious, but it's not that simple.

This girl that got "kicked" out of group, apparently attempted to commit suicide because they treated her like shit and still do, worse than they treated me.

*girl04* said:
i have a similiar thing to you by the sound of it but not as bad. i am a member of the schools "popular" group of who dont study and skip classes and bitch and are cool, but then i am also friends with this group of girls who are nice and do their schoolwork. Anyways I have managed a balance between both groups and I would have to say it is cool! I get all the parties and little things that come along with being friends with all the cool girls but I still study and know other people … see if you can work something out … and if your friends always turn everything into a bitchfest I feel for you .. maybe you really should become frienz with other people completely.
Yeah, the other group is more career-driven, and though they're not so popular, they're fun and easy to talk to and actually want to obtain a high UAI. I wish I could be in the same situation as you, but the friends I am with, they wouldn't try to or would understand.

gumdrops

Thanks Mitsuri. :)

I'm in year 11 and year 12 would be a living hell if I spent another year with them.
I do try to ignore them, but it doesn't work most of the time. I wish I was not sensitive, then I could easily brush away the comments.

Last edited:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i say you seriously need to get this sorted out .. coz while you are constantly thinking about it ( which it sounds like you are) you wont be studying lots and concentrating to your full potential.

is there anyone at your school ( like a teacher maybe) that you could talk to it about ( i know that sounds strange, but honestly teachers are normally more than happy to help) go up to one and express your concerns and maybe they could give you advice ( better than we can coz they would know you and you friends and school etc in real life)
from what you have said it does sound like the other group of girls may be best for you .. but i realise its hard and stuff isnt always as it seems

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
gumdrops said:
Thanks Mitsuri. :)

I'm in year 11 and year 12 would be a living hell if I spent another year with them.
I do try to ignore them, but it doesn't work most of the time. I wish I was sensitive, then I could easily brush away the comments.
No Problem.

I would try and get away from this group asap.

Try and be friendly with everyone, so that if you are humiliated, most of the others won't laugh at you etc. Instead they will have sympathy and try and help you out.

Just an idea.

Another thing, mix with both groups, and slowly drift toward to group you want to go with. Don't dog the other group completely, just slowly ease away.

If you are finding it hard to do well at school, make up for it at home.

Last edited:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Misturi said:
No Problem.

Another thing, mix with both groups, and slowly drift toward to group you want to go with. Don't dog the other group completely, just slowly ease away.

yeah that is really good advice. you dont wanna ditch your old friends straight away because what if you dont get along with the new girls? or something happens? so yeah try be friends with all for awhile .. just try even if it seems impossible

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
*girl04* said:
yeah that is really good advice. you dont wanna ditch your old friends straight away because what if you dont get along with the new girls? or something happens? so yeah try be friends with all for awhile .. just try even if it seems impossible
I've done it in the past, but l had two groups of great friends and l slowly eased away from one, just so they didn't get offended and start thinking other things of me.

heyyawatever

Watch this space
HSC
Although I can't give any direct advice,being male and insecure, I recommend you make a decision soon and be prepared to stick by it. Your dilemma is something just about every teenager, male and or female, will have to deal with at some stage of their life. Perhaps having a talk to your 'friends' about your predicament will be of benefit before making any rash decision, if they patronisingly dismiss you, you know where to go. :)

gumdrops

Misturi said:
Just an idea.

If you are finding it hard to do well at school, make up for it at home.
That's a great idea. I'm kind of doing that at the moment. I'm sitting with other people in my classes, but still hang around the others at recess and lunch.

Thankyou so much Mitsuri and girl04. I feel a lot better, and it feels like a lot of weight has been lifted off my back. :D

Last edited:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
gumdrops said:
That's a great idea. I'm kind of doing that at the moment. I'm sitting with other people in my classes, but still hang around the others at recess and lunch.

Thankyou so much Mitsuri and girl04. I feel a lot better, and it feels like a lot of weight has been lifted on my back. :D

Glad to hear and happy to help :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Its not what you know, it's who you know.

rumour

HSC
My friends don't study!!

But they don't bag me out for doing so, at my school the bitchest "group" are the nerds!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)