Distributing HSC Notes, Good or Bad!? (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Hey Guys

So I've been wondering what is specifically considered legal and illegal and what is considered ethical and unethical. Below I have a few scenarios and I would love to hear your input so I can clarify my understanding.

Scenario One
Steven buys a set of Physics notes from Bill, these are Bills personal notes that he made during his HSC Year. Steven then decides to sell these notes to others for a lower price.

Result: Unethical and Illegal

Scenario Two
Steven buys a set of Physics notes from Bill, these are Bills personal notes that he made during his HSC Year. Steven is a top mate and he then decides to give these notes for free to his friend because they are struggling in class. Steven is not profiting from this, merely helping a friend.

Result: Is it legal or illegal?

Scenario Three
Steven buys a set of Physics notes from Bill, these are Bills personal notes that he made during his HSC Year. Steven decides to trade John for a set of notes he has and he offers Bills notes for Johns.

Result: Is it legal or illegal?

Last edited:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Scenario one: ultimate snake/10 would bang Steven.

Scenario two: would not bang Steven, too nice.

Scenario three: Steven the snake, would bang/10.

Pls pm me if you need me to clarify my opinion xoxo

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Scenario one: ultimate snake/10 would bang Steven.

Scenario two: would not bang Steven, too nice.

Scenario three: Steven the snake, would bang/10.

Pls pm me if you need me to clarify my opinion xoxo
Nah man cheers! That's an awesome clarification :p

Treelover1

HSC
Whether its legal or not is dependent on any restrictions placed by the seller. Personally, I'd say all scenarios are unethical with varying degrees. However, that doesn't mean i wouldn't do it, if it was for a friend haha.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Whether its legal or not is dependent on any restrictions placed by the seller. Personally, I'd say all scenarios are unethical with varying degrees. However, that doesn't mean i wouldn't do it, if it was for a friend haha.
but this isn't like purchasing a licence for software? If the seller asks for their content to not be distributed isn't that appealing to the ethics and morals of the person purchasing the notes and it therefore isn't a legal issue?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Scenario Four

Bill gives Steven his HSC notes for free. Scumbag Steven decides to sell it to make a profit and doesn't tell or give Bill a cut.

Result: He gets punched in the face. (but no srsly, legal or illegal?)

Treelover1

HSC
Oh, you are talking only about HSC notes. Then nothing is illegal unless the seller has done the necessary paperwork and licensing. So yeah, you're right.
But you'd have to be an asshole to give out somebody elses notes that they ever so kindly put on sale.

timeflies

HSC
My question: If I can buy a book and sell it later for less, why can't I do the same for a set of notes?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Oh, you are talking only about HSC notes. Then nothing is illegal unless the seller has done the necessary paperwork and licensing. So yeah, you're right.
But you'd have to be an asshole to give out somebody elses notes that they ever so kindly put on sale.
I agree that selling it would be a dick move, what's your opinion on trading it for a set of notes from a mate?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Treelover1

HSC
My question: If I can buy a book and sell it later for less, why can't I do the same for a set of notes?
Nobodys saying that you cant. Its just that in both of those situations i personally think its unethical in regard to the seller. Anyway, whats unethical and ethical is way too subjective hahah

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Any other opinions out there :) ? Would love to hear from as many people possible

Treelover1

HSC
I agree that selling it would be a dick move, what's your opinion on trading it for a set of notes from a mate?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Again, i think its dependent on the seller. I dont think the buyer can make that decision without crossing ethical boundaries.

D94

HSC
N/A
And where did Bill get the information in the notes from? Textbooks, internet, journals, other notes etc. He appropriated other's work and is making a profit out of it. How is that any different to what Steven is doing? Sure there's effort in making and compiling the notes, but that was for Bill's benefit to begin with (i.e. the HSC), not for the intention of selling.

Treelover1

HSC
And where did Bill get the information in the notes from? Textbooks, internet, journals, other notes etc. He appropriated other's work and is making a profit out of it. How is that any different to what Steven is doing? Sure there's effort in making and compiling the notes, but that was for Bill's benefit to begin with (i.e. the HSC), not for the intention of selling.
There is a difference. Ethically speaking. There should be a mutual agreement between the buyer and the seller to respect each others work and not give it away.
And it is the sellers work because it is summarised and should be different (if its done correctly).
And what are you really buying when you buy a persons notes? You are just buying information that can be found on the internet that is instead condensed into a document. Essentially, you are buying the time and effort it takes to compile your own notes.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
There is a difference. Ethically speaking. There should be a mutual agreement between the buyer and the seller to respect each others work and not give it away.
And it is the sellers work because it is summarised and should be different (if its done correctly).
And what are you really buying when you buy a persons notes? You are just buying information that can be found on the internet that is instead condensed into a document. Essentially, you are buying the time and effort it takes to compile your own notes.
so we are pretty much looking at ethical boundaries when it comes to redistribution not legal?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@OP

You should consider my resource bank ,..... Not all of it is mine

I consider it ethical as it is for the greater good ....

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Under KANT's deontology, an action is ethical if it produces a great amount of happiness, Since I make half of BOS happy ... I consider spreading resources ethical,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)