DJ Thread- Equipment (1 Viewer)

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
Hola,
Any beginner DJs on BoS?
What equipment do you have?
CD or Vinyl?
Genre? (I am unrestricted cause I love many many genres)

peace XD

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't have any equipment (too expensive) but typically request CDJ 1000s if I'm at a club. Got a relatively decent pair of Sennheiser headphones.

Genre - fairly standard I suppose, usually commercial house and dance, little bit of electro - and on some nights retro party anthems - though I keep a stash of other tunes in case the crowd wants something else.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do want: Laz djing an industrial metal playlist.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
Hahaha I am looking at buying 2 CDJ 400s and a Korg KM202

How did you learn to DJ without any gear?

johony

HSC
i'm thinking of picking up a cheapish second-hand turntable (probably american audio) first just for listening to vinyls, but if i feel the need to, i'll buy a decent mixer and another turntable. or just get CDJs.

how much are you spending EFG? $2500-ish?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hahaha I am looking at buying 2 CDJ 400s and a Korg KM202

How did you learn to DJ without any gear?
Hmm I initially I did a lot of software DJing - I found MixMeister really easy to use, and it was fun to create mixes at home and give them to friends etc.

By doing that in my spare time for a while I started developing an ear for beatmatching and a sense for song selection, what works and what doesn't...

I sent some of my mixes to a DJ, he saw I was keen and offered me an event management type position and let me muck around on the decks before and after.

I think it only took me a month or two (one gig per week) to familiarise myself properly with the hardware and learn how to do the basic stuff, cue, do spinbacks etc, and once I figured that out he offered me the warm-up set every week.

Now it's easy. :) But unfortunately don't really have much time to do it anymore. Was fantastic while I was at uni though.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
$50 p/h, usually about three hours

I was happy. :)

There is absolutely no substitute for practice in a live environment though. Hardest part is reading the crowd. Beatmixing isn't hard to learn (though it can be very frustrating when you are just starting out). Once you get the hang of it, it's super easy ever after.

Nearly every DJ can beatmix fine. The best DJs can read the crowd and tap into that hidden vibe that is driving everyone on the dance floor - once you get a feel for that you can play tune after tune and have people going wild to every song. It's like a sixth sense.

Start by trying to make mixes that get your friends hyped, because it should be easier for you to pick what they'll like etc, and gradually ease yourself into less familiar environments. The gig I had in the city had a fairly regular crowd - working class, usually fairly drunk, just out to have a good time and maybe pick up - so they were relatively easy to play to most weeks. Top DJs need to be able to play anywhere and so have to learn to adapt to the crowd very very quickly.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
Uhmmm well I am doing what I can to save money as in I already have a NAD amp to use :p and I am building my own speakers so thats probably $200. And I am building a desk/table thing for all my equipment so thats $100

Korg KM202 - $350
2 X CDJ 400- $1800 (paying retail which only gimps do)

so thats 2450 so yer your right about that.

Yer DJing I am not really in for the money its an expensive hobbies which all of my hobbies tend to be. I am in japan at the moment skiing lol.

johony

HSC
sweet dude, i wish i had $2450 to splash around on gear :(
i'll probably just use ableton live for the time being if i can be stuffed.

what do/would you play?

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
well I am saving up :)
and I would play mainly trance/hard house and bit of everything

where are you from should come up and have a spin when I get it :p

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
I am not interested in vinyl tho... CDJ is the way of the future I reckon... plus vinyl will end up being a fuckload more expensive in the long run

dougieblow

HSC
set up: Stanton t.120 turntables+Stanton m.304 mixer+Stanton c.314 CDJ+korg kaossilator

i spin like house/hiphop,breaks,dnb..

stantons are good if you cant afford pioneer mk3.

soon to be macbook pro running ableton live yay!

johony

HSC
well I am saving up :)
and I would play mainly trance/hard house and bit of everything

where are you from should come up and have a spin when I get it :p
i live close to bankstown. i wouldn't mind having a spin when you get it, but i wont be playing trance or hard house i'm afraid. :p (ok, maybe hard house)

i dont really have any preference for either medium, but there is an intrinsic appeal about having crates of vinyls in your room and DJing with them on proper turntables, but then again imagine lugging them around instead of a wallet of CDs. i know sasha uses MP3s with ableton a lot nowadays, in conjunction with turntables.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
i really wanted to start dj'ing (just at home). i have a severe passion for hip hop and just watching people on youtube do it all time makes me really jealous.

if i were getting anything id say exactly what jonnypaul said and get a 2nd hand set of 1200's, industry standard and have a long life time. id probably go for the likes of a 2ch vestax mixer unless you want to play the likes of house or dance or whatever, then you'd be looking at about 4ch or 5ch, gives you more to play with. also, buy some vinyl control software like serato or albeton, saves you carrying around heaps of vinyl.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
dougie: Hmmm thats a fuckign nice set up you got going there dougie... how much did that set you back? and how old are you lol?

johony: I rekcon that would be even better cause you can bring your own CDs that aren't hard house/ trance and add it to my collcetion... you never know when you need random genres of music

icraig88: well I believe that whilst serrato and ableton and useful tools, I dont think that it would be right for me. Korg KM202 mixer is what I am looking at now.. because it comes in with an inbuilt Kaos pad

dougieblow

HSC
hay man lm 17.. definatly try and go with some CDJs, although l am a vynal purist l've spent nearly like 500 dollars on vynals, may aswell spend the extra money get tons of blank cds and piraced music cheap off a torrent site. some records can be like 50 - 70 dollars each man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)