• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do 1st year units count in your GPA/WAM? (1 Viewer)

flamhorn

HSC
As the title says. Would my slacking off this year affect me in 4 years' time?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Yeah they count, but they aren't weighted as much as later year subjects. Might depend on your faculty though.

doink

Clone
HSC
GPA = 3 most recent years so 1st year not counted.

WAM= weighted so first year is only worth a quarter of 4th year, matters very little.

kokodamonkey

HSC
doink said:

WAM= weighted so first year is only worth a quarter of 4th year, matters very little.
yaaaaay

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
doink said:

Care to reference that? For Engineering the WAM calculation is correct, but GPA can refer to your whole uni degree also. For applications into further study like for graduate LLB or MBBS they take the last 3 years of study, but I think its best for the OP to ask his/her faculty as it varies.

jannny

HSC
doink said:

sounds good budd =)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
doink said:

wrong. where on earth did you find that for GPA. even your WAM definition is incorrect

GPA = Grade point average over your entire degree
WAM = Weighted average mark over your entire degree. It is only weighted by credit points, not based on what year you did the unit

SCIWAM = weighted so that your first year units are worth less than intermediate units, etc. However, SCIWAM is only used by science (and possibly engineering) and not by many (if any) employers.

When you're applying for jobs, GPA = over your entire degree.

The only exception is where they state that only X years are counted in the calculations. However, GPA and WAM as concepts are across all the years.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
wow i never knew about the wam vs sciwam thing.

So only engineering and science do calculations with sciwam? Let's say you blitz first and second year subjects and don't do so well with the later years. Your WAM ends out to be in the distinction rang but your SCIWAM ends up being in the credit range.

If an employer asks for marks or what your average is, which one do you use? Are they expecting it based on a SCIWAM, GPA or WAM?

oh yeah and on another note, how would you go about counting GPA if your faculty doesn't use it? Is it out of 7 or 6, is a fail worth 2-3 or zero? etc.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
goony said:
wow i never knew about the wam vs sciwam thing.

So only engineering and science do calculations with sciwam? Let's say you blitz first and second year subjects and don't do so well with the later years. Your WAM ends out to be in the distinction rang but your SCIWAM ends up being in the credit range.

If an employer asks for marks or what your average is, which one do you use? Are they expecting it based on a SCIWAM, GPA or WAM?

oh yeah and on another note, how would you go about counting GPA if your faculty doesn't use it? Is it out of 7 or 6, is a fail worth 2-3 or zero? etc.
SCIWAM I'd reckon.

3rd and 4th year subjects are way more practical (having done 1st and 2nd year and looked at 3rd year onwards) than the previous years and actually have stuff to do with industry rather than "I can solve this ODE" or "I know what happens when you react x and y together". T

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
when employers ask for your average, you would usually give them your WAM

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
If you do Honours, you can count your HWAM instead, which is the WAM of your last two years :)

For my faculty anyway, which claims to correspond with other Honours programs in USYD :/

lala2

Banned
HSC
GPA for the last 3 years only counts for postgrad med and dent applications, if that's what you mean.

spence

HSC
For arts faculty, WAM is average of senior units only

stazi

Nightman
HSC
no it's not. where are people getting these false pretenses?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
wtf at this thread. Make sure what you're saying is accurate before you say it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah..idiots don't know anything. clearly they only count semester 2 units in your WAM, ignoring all semester 1 units. that way semester 1 is a practice round for semester 2

spence

HSC
From the arts handbook:

The weighted average mark

A WAM may be calculated for students who have attempted senior units of study. The WAM for students in the Faculty of Arts is the average mark per unit of study of all senior units attempted. Results of W (Withdrawn) and DNF (Discontinued – not to count as failure) are ignored in the WAM calculation.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh wow. i got pwned. how strange. i've never heard that before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)