Do Chemistry and Food Tech relate? (1 Viewer)

Do Chemistry and Food Technology relate to each other?

• No

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schoey93

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm James ... I'm just wondering if Chemistry and Food Technology relate. My Year 9 science teacher once said "Cooking is chemistry", so do the two subjects relate? Is it beneficial to do both at the same time (i.e. does being good in one help you with the other)?

Thanks!

bored of sc

HSC
Yes. But I don't think they compliment each other that well.

micuzzo

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm James ... I'm just wondering if Chemistry and Food Technology relate. My Year 9 science teacher once said "Cooking is chemistry", so do the two subjects relate? Is it beneficial to do both at the same time (i.e. does being good in one help you with the other)?

Thanks!
I doubt it... i dont do food tech but i really doubt you learn about how to make food according to the reactions that will occur when mixing ingredients or what the reactions will cause flavour wise [there is a profession that does this, i cant remember the name, its gastro sumting]... nor do you learn that in chem...(well not really even though u touch on esters).... unless your mixing bi-carb soda with vinegar and really want to know what the reaction entails, i really doubt that chem will make you better at food tech... but you never know..

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Lol, trust me, being an excellent cook WILL NOT help you pass HSC Chemistry...

shady145

Banned
HSC
i did food tech in yr 10, i do chem now.
no relation, except one thing
chem is about the reactions that occur and why they occur. in food tech u r given a recipe and told to mix things. make it look good.
the one thing in food tech is u learn what a carbohydate is in terms of its properties, thats kinda related. otherwise i dun think they relate.
ur teacher is right in saying foodtech is chem. but in foodtech u dnt do chem, all the chemistry involved is ignored, simply because its for a course called chemistry, and foodtech is for food.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
kind of but not really, you learn about some chemical reactions which are very simple but year 11 ft is more realated to year 12 bio unit MAB, and if you do chem and ft the biochemistry of movement module is a lot like nutrition in some parts so they kinda pair but not fantastically. But chem gives a slight advantage to ft in food manufacture unit when you discuss packaging and the reations that take place

melissaLOL

HSC
even if they relate, food tech scales really low, not sure if its well advised to do it whatever levle they may relate

melissaLOL

HSC
unless you absolutely lurrrve food science and your mum is martha stewart

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Biology and Food tech Reduce to Chemistry, Chemistry Reduces to Physics, Physics Reduces to Mathematics

Tastegud

HSC
There are a few intercontextual references to each other.
Like in Food Tech, they might say, pH of food, and then you know what it is from Chemistry, but really, I do both, and they don't compliment each other at all.
Maybe it's because I love Chem and hate Food, although the classes are much better in Food than Chem lol.

Trust me, they relate, but don't compliment.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's like a dotpoint in Acidic that relates to acids in food and stuff. =P

laurabally

HSC
as someone doing both, they don't relate at all.
some parts of food tech prelim are concerned with like the chemical structure of protein or whatevs, but you don't need that for the hsc.
if you're capable of chemistry, food tech is a waste of your intelligence, seriously. cooking isn't chemistry at all.
end rant.

erin.horan

HSC
they do relate but hardly im doen yr 12 food tech nd chemistry and the reactions and that relate greatly..........................
its food science id be looking in2 it:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)