• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do doctors do practicals on corpses? (1 Viewer)

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
i think they're called cadavers? i think it would be cool

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
My dad said he did at medical school. Totally put me off. But he went to uni overseas, so not sure if it happens in Australia.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
or do they like doing practicals on you?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
or do they like doing practicals on you?
We use cadavers just to examine anatomical form and function of various bodily systems. For practicals we have both computerised, laboratory, and clinical skills e.g. ng tubes, cannulas , etc which are taught at hospital on manikins & real patients (in second year-). However, in first year you get to learn basic physical examinations: respiratory, BP, Gastro, etc. NO surgical practicals are undertaken on cadavers by medical students in NSW, due to the scarcity of donations and universal precautions.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
we have a dissecting room at monash university and we started dissecting in second semester. theres about 1 body per tutorial group of 15-20 and you do the dissection in pairs. e.g. 2 ppl do the axilla in week 1, 2 ppl do the upper arm in week 2, 2 ppl do the forearm in week 3 etc. they dont force you to do it so you can pass and those that do want it can do it again. the dissecting room is for med 1st and 2nd years only and you can go in at any time on ur own to dissect. you just need to make sure theres a tutor/staff around to supervise. we also have pots where our lecturer has already dissected the human material and you can just look at it. and compare to a labelled photo so you can identify all the anatomical structures etc.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
that is very cool im willing to put in 11 15 years to become a doctor

A Stone Monkey

HSC
N/A
that is very cool im willing to put in 11 15 years to become a doctor
To obtain a medical degree, it doesn't take that long.

The handling of cadavers is regulated by the Anatomy Act 1977, and the legislation (ANATOMY ACT 1977) is all very technical and long-winded.

Initially, you have prosections, in addition to textbooks and online resources for anatomy; and, usually, you don't get to do a dissections until much later, like, third year.

Rarely ever, if ever, do practicals involve extant students, with informed consent, unless you're referring to students getting familiar with superficial anatomy - and limited visceral anatomy.

getintomedicine

HSC
The study of anatomy at UNSW involves regular sessions in the dissecting room, examining cadavers. Despite the name of the room, medical students do not do any dissecting. (The specimens are dissected by anatomists.) The cadavers and the smell of formalin are somewhat confronting to many first-year students, but most soon realise that using cadavers is essential for understanding anatomy.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
yeh, the legislation is different in victoria and NSW. students dont get to do dissections in NSW in 1st year but they are allowed in Victoria. all the more reason to come to monash!!! XD

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
is it normal for me not to be put off by this thread?

ashllis92

HSC
is it normal for me not to be put off by this thread?
No but it's not normal to want to study medicine so you can essentially "cut up dead pplz YAYA"... Trust me, I don't even study med (yet) but I know you will be sorely disappointed and will have taken someones university place who really really wanted it to be a doctor, not to cut up dead people.

Also in reply to the comment about the smell of formalin, it's not that bad really...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
No but it's not normal to want to study medicine so you can essentially "cut up dead pplz YAYA"... Trust me, I don't even study med (yet) but I know you will be sorely disappointed and will have taken someones university place who really really wanted it to be a doctor, not to cut up dead people.

Also in reply to the comment about the smell of formalin, it's not that bad really...
It's not normal unless you want to go to UNSW and do other prohibited stuff to cadavers, lol

You get used to formalin, formaldehyde, etc after a few lab sessions, I barely even notice it now.

ashllis92

HSC
I was actually saying that formalin doesn't bother me now because I work essentially up to my elbows in the stuff already...
In what way is the stuff at UNSW illegal? I was planning on going there (ATAR permitting)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Valid point however that aticle is nearly 3 years old...
It's still hot gossip in some med student circles. Esp at AMSA Convention, etc. Alot of UNSW still cop sh*t because of it, but then again the poor attitude put out by a number of UNSW doesn't help either.

HSC
N/A
in physio we use cadavers too. 2 hours a week on muskuloskelatal anatomy for first year(this also includes nerve inervation, major arteries veins, head and neck anatomy, trunk anatomy too) and 2 hours a week on cardiovas., respiratory, renal, in first sem and 2 hours a week on neuro in second sem.

Yeah was definitely overwhelmed by the smell and liquidy feel when only on our second day of uni we were holding a heart. Pretty big shock straight out of holidays after hsc wasn't expecting it in physio!

this is probably the case in med too, but in the exams they have pins with labels on specific features and you have to write down what they are so not just pretty cadavers but u gotta know your shit

Last edited:

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad

i really want to be a doctor actually ive wanted to help my mum before i even started school. my mum has artritis, manic depression copd, asthma, diabeties and numerous other things. i was looking after her when i was younger before i handed it over to someone older so i could study and become a doctor and not help people like that but fix them up. even if i have to cut up dead people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)