Do externals depend on internals? (1 Viewer)

tito981

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm super concerned about my externals. Everything has been going quite badly tbh. My internals/ranks on the other hand are quite good. Will my externals significantly ruin my atar :( Thanks everyone
So for your external mark, you will get the mark that you got in the actual exam. But for internals, you will get the mark of the person who placed your rank externally, so if your rank is rank 2, and the second highest exam mark from your school was a 95, you will get a 95 internally. So doing poorly externally will definitely have an impact, however, your internal rank will help you maintain a decent mark given that you dont perform significantly out of your rank's mark. So overall, your actual atar wont deviate too much whether you do as well as you intended or not.

stupidpersonlol

HSC
So for your external mark, you will get the mark that you got in the actual exam. But for internals, you will get the mark of the person who placed your rank externally, so if your rank is rank 2, and the second highest exam mark from your school was a 95, you will get a 95 internally. So doing poorly externally will definitely have an impact, however, your internal rank will help you maintain a decent mark given that you dont perform significantly out of your rank's mark. So overall, your actual atar wont deviate too much whether you do as well as you intended or not.
kkk thanku

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
also since it's true that the highest external mark is given to the person who came first as their assessment mark, what if for a subject, the highest mark is pretty low (like only 80)? how would this be fair?

worried about this since many ppl in my school (including the super smart kids) have kinda given up ahahah

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
also since it's true that the highest external mark is given to the person who came first as their assessment mark, what if for a subject, the highest mark is pretty low (like only 80)? how would this be fair?

worried about this since many ppl in my school (including the super smart kids) have kinda given up ahahah
That's just how the system is, 1st Examination mark goes to the person who was first internally and that will be their assessment mark.

Jordi El Nino Polla

HSC
ohh so it wouldn't get scaled up or anything?
It depends, a lot of the time 1st examination mark happens to be the 1st person internally which means both their exam and assessment marks are the same. If rank 1 internals messes up the HSC then yea they will take whoever actually came 1st in HSC and average it out with their own HSC. I personally don't like the system but that's how it is

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ohh so it wouldn't get scaled up or anything?
The distribution of exam marks of the cohort are meant to be the "benchmark" for moderating the internal marks to be consistent across the state. A student who ranks first internally obviously has to get the highest internal mark (it wouldn't make sense otherwise) regardless of what he/she gets in externals. However, if he/she stuffs up external exams then that is reflected in the averaging of the internal and external marks.

icycledough

HSC

It does make sense most of the time that people with superior internal ranks will also perform strongly in external exams, due to their own motivation, a perceived easier externals exam compared to internals and that they want to boost the cumulative total of external marks to help the entire cohort.

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
It does make sense most of the time that people with superior internal ranks will also perform strongly in external exams, due to their own motivation, a perceived easier externals exam compared to internals and that they want to boost the cumulative total of external marks to help the entire cohort.
not true for me lolssss

lockdown killed that

icycledough

HSC
not true for me lolssss

lockdown killed that
That's true ... in some schools, students with high internal ranks may not try as much for externals, either due to how the moderation process works, or in this year's case, because of the stressful year it has been, which I can say has definitely affected everyone.

tito981

HSC
I think its a good system as it is quite neutral in its use, as throughout the year students have worked hard to attain their internal mark and if it is just unraveled in the externals it is quite unfair. So the top ranks taking the higher marks makes sense in that aspect, however, with the lack of internal assessments this year, i think nesa should have changed the weighting to 40:60 internal:external weighting of the marks. But this overall shouldn't matter given that students have tried throughout the year.

icycledough

HSC
I think its a good system as it is quite neutral in its use, as throughout the year students have worked hard to attain their internal mark and if it is just unraveled in the externals it is quite unfair. So the top ranks taking the higher marks makes sense in that aspect, however, with the lack of internal assessments this year, i think nesa should have changed the weighting to 40:60 internal:external weighting of the marks. But this overall shouldn't matter given that students have tried throughout the year.
I can see why you may have suggested 40:60, but honestly, to avoid any confusion or complaints, I think 50:50 should be what is always used. I could argue though that placing 50% on one set of exams, for which there is every possibility of 'screwing up' (whether it be due to a mind blank, difficult questions, not being prepared enough, etc) can be very detrimental to a student's final HSC mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)