Do floppies still have a practical use? (1 Viewer)

Do floppies still have a practical use?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

ohne

HSC
In light of the many different view expressed on floppies in a previous thread, I think it is appropriate that we should have a poll on floppies. Are floppies still relevant, or should they be removed from computers and replaced with newer technologies?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I think they are in a transitional phase. Manufacturers are starting to take it off their system specs, yet there are many people who still use them.

So yes, they still have practical use for some people.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
USB keys are starting to replace floppies but cause of their price floppies are still more practical for just carrying around word documents.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Trouble with USB keys is if you lose them.
well....despite the bigger size of a floppy (comparatively), you can lose a floppy too. Seeing the USB key is more expensive its likely you'd take more care with it. I keep mine on my keyring.

If I go as low as losing my keys.....I deserve to lose my memory stick as well :D

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
I keep mine on my keyring.

If I go as low as losing my keys.....I deserve to lose my memory stick as well :D

ditto

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i use floppies occassionally...it depends on what its for...
like, if i need to save something that will fit onto floppy, i will use that...the only time i really use cd's is for large documents or if i have finished working on something (i rarely use them during the production stage of my work, as i usually use cdr's...i think i need to invest in some cdrw's...)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Though they barely hold anything, and easily bugger up, I still use them. My own computer doesn't have a cd burner, and my networks fucked, so it's the only way I can save stuff and take it elsewhere.
By the way I can't afford a memory stick.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You need a floppy to copy to DOS and boot sometimes...

Especially if you're flashing a BIOS or if you need to start in DOS so you can use a proprietary hard disk tool to do a low-level format on a HDD...

Otherwise - useless!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Most newer computers and USB keys support USB booting.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Yes for this one: "Do floppies still have a practical use?" :) but no for this one: "Will floppies have a practical use in the future?" ummm.. don't start a debate again.. it's already settled in the other thread ;)

Yvan Zivkovic

HSC
N/A
Computers a forever upgrading, new types of RAM every month, faster DVD-burners, faster processors and new 64-bit processors, new wireless ways of communicating, yet we are still using a device that hold 1.4MB of data and can be lost or damages easily?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
floppies are still useful, but only because they are in that transition. soon they won't be useful at all and i can't wait, they are too slow and fit next to nothing.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
USB disks seem easier and less problematic to use with floppies. I just remember there'd be so much problems with saving files on the disk and they got too damaged easily. My USB disk is not on my key ring or anything (which is good because I have lost my keys and still cant find it) but if I cant find it its usually at the back of a computer. For me, they dont have a practical use, but teh other people in my family and still dpeendent on them and still get trouble when using floppies.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't use floppies anymore, though it is a bit annoying having older computers that can't take USB or whatever. At the moment I have to either burn to CD or network to get stuff between my laptop and shitbox Compaq.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
usb disk drives r getting cheaper, $30 for 64mb...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)