Do I have a shot at medicine (1 Viewer)

JamesCooksley

HSC
So I got 98.7 ATAR, which isn't bad but doesn't seem particularly stand out in the med world, is this enough to be competitive for undergrad med? I'm thinking i'll either take a gap year, redo UMAT and reapply as a school leaver, do some charity work and volunteering etc to make myself more appealing in interviews. How badly do i need to blitz the UMAT to get a place, and can you really improve your UMAT? I did the test last year and got 55 percentile, can i change this mark?
Does this seem like a good plan or is postgrad more sensible?

bangladesh

HSC
This is a good plan, so is post grad med. It's up to you which one you want to choose.

Goodluck!

Medman

HSC
Why the hell not? Successful people always think they have a shot otherwise they would have never applied.

Always go with the undergraduate option if you can. GAMSAT is hell to prepare and sit.

Yes you can improve your UMAT. Just practice, get past papers and papers from other colleges. If you're struggling get a tutor.

Your ATAR is fine for UWS and UNSW. Although, harder for UNSW since you will probably need 98 percentile+. For UWS entry requirement is 50% UMAT, 50% Interview if you don't ace UMAT you still have a shot at interview. Prepare early! Up to 40% of UWS's cohort are now school leavers so you have an excellent chance!

If you need more help shoot me a message. I've been a mentor for many medical students and medical student wannabees.

Last edited:

z5023909

HSC
For UNSW: median is around 99.6 atar and around 96 umat although you can get in with your atar as long as you have a high 90's umat and an interview i would say roughly in the top 1/4 of interviewees
For UWS: median of about 95 umat as well? atar doesn't count once you pass the threshold atar of about 95. Think interview counts for 1/3 and umat is 2/3 of the total weighting so you need quite a decent umat
For JMP: as long as you get over around 90 umat you get an interview typically. From then on its solely based on your interview so you really have to ace it as there are around 160 spots i think but around 800 interviews?

ParraEelz

HSC
Realistically, how hard is it to get 95+ umat? How many people get it?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Realistically, how hard is it to get 95+ umat? How many people get it?
If the UMAT is anything like the LSAT, very... felt like shooting myself after sitting the LSAT... worst... test... ever!

bangladesh

HSC
For UNSW: median is around 99.6 atar and around 96 umat although you can get in with your atar as long as you have a high 90's umat and an interview i would say roughly in the top 1/4 of interviewees
For UWS: median of about 95 umat as well? atar doesn't count once you pass the threshold atar of about 95. Think interview counts for 1/3 and umat is 2/3 of the total weighting so you need quite a decent umat
For JMP: as long as you get over around 90 umat you get an interview typically. From then on its solely based on your interview so you really have to ace it as there are around 160 spots i think but around 800 interviews?
I've seen people with 97 atar and 90s umat get a CSP offer. It really comes down to your interview in UNSW.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a competitive ATAR for sure. Go for it.

z5023909

HSC
I've seen people with 97 atar and 90s umat get a CSP offer. It really comes down to your interview in UNSW.
Its true it really comes down to the interview but I really don't know anyone having gotten in with a 97 atar. I'm assuming with that kind of atar you'd need an incredibly high umat and a good interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)