Do I have to defer? (1 Viewer)

Casablancas

HSC
Planning to do law/accounting at Macquarie uni next year. Term starts mid Feb I think. But I'm going overseas for three weeks late March-mid April. Basically, I'm there for 3 weeks , then miss 3 weeks. I know about online lectures blah blah blah, but I want to know if its realistic to 'catch up' with such a workload. Would it be difficult?I REALLY don't want to defer a whole semester and graduate uni when I'm about 25yrs old.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The biggest problem you would have with missing 3 weeks is not only catching up but generally tutorial attendance. Some subjects require that you attend 80% of the tutes, depending on if they have tutes in the first week and if they have tutes every week etc this can mean you can miss 2-3... You wont know if your subject has compuslary tutes unless you ask the tutor/university but generally MQ law subjects have compulsary tutorial attendance, and law tutes often start in the first week. I would contact the uni and see what they say.

You may be lucky, if your holiday falls within the mid semester break you'll only miss one week, that would be fine.

dolbinau

HSC
Wait for the timetable you might be lucky..I think the Mid-semester break is around Good Friday which is the 2nd of April or something? So you will only miss like one week instead of 3. (2 weeks break)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
yeah as said above it depends where your holidays are, however if you do have 3 weeks off that is alot to catch up from, you would also have to do all those assignments in advance

X

xeuyrawp

Planning to do law/accounting at Macquarie uni next year. Term starts mid Feb I think. But I'm going overseas for three weeks late March-mid April. Basically, I'm there for 3 weeks , then miss 3 weeks. I know about online lectures blah blah blah, but I want to know if its realistic to 'catch up' with such a workload. Would it be difficult?I REALLY don't want to defer a whole semester and graduate uni when I'm about 25yrs old.
Mid-semester break is 5th-16th April. I have absolutely no idea why you'd commit to both uni study and an overseas trip without knowing the dates for both.

There's no way you can successfully do both, to be honest, despite what anyone says. You can't defer accounting/law for a semester without adding a full extra year to the end of your degree as both degrees have prerequisites which require you to finish semester 1.

Simply put, you need to choose either the trip or uni.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
To add on to what Pwar said, while it may be possible if you're lucky enough that your holiday falls in mid sem break, catching up on at least one weeks worth is harder when you've just started uni. Most people use the mid sem break to catch up on the work they have missed so far and do any assignments due during or immediately after the break, as a law student you WILL have an assignment due in that period, I don't know if you will be able to sort out all of that while you are overseas and doing things other than study... All of this is made much harder when you are inexperienced in the ways of university and how to best write university assignments.

Good luck, I hope you sort something out.

Casablancas

HSC
ahhh shit. Thanks for the advice, but still shit shit shit. A whole year. really?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)