• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do I have to remember every single quote from a text? (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
Can I just talk about something without backing it up with a quote? if I provide at least a few quotes for a few arguments?

Because I don't think I can memorise like 30 long quotes lol

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
No you don't, it would be a real nightmare if I had to remember every single line in my AOS text (a play) ...

One sentence is enough, any more and it's too much ... several words maximum per quote.

Sukey

HSC
You only have to remember a few quotes.

I read this essay just the other day, and it had like a 5 line quote in it. I was like WHOA! (the person only got into the midrange)

If you use quotes that are too long, you lose your audience as they forget what you're talking about. Remember, the people marking your HSC is doing about 25 papers an hour, if they're side tracked by a massive quote, they're not going to read it over again and you will lose marks.

Also remember, because they're only reading the essay once, and not so carefully, you can make mistakes. If you can't remember an exact quote, remember about what they said and make something up. Even if they notice, it's not like they're going to go over the book again in detail just to find one quote mentioned in your essay.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
u only should put the whole quote in if EVERY WORD OF IT is relevent to the point ur trying 2 back up. u could chop the quote using '...' which makes it a hell of a lot easier than trying2 remember the whole thing. plus it helps to condense the essay...markers dont want2 read this looong thing if u could get ur point across in half as many words. :)

Last edited:

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
lizziegirl said:
u only should put the whole quote in if EVERY WORD OF IT is relevent to the point ur trying 2 back up. u could chop the quote using '...' which makes it a hell of a lot easier than trying2 remember the whole thing. plus it helps to condense the essay...markers dont want2 read this looong thing if u could get ur point across in half as many words. :)
qft :uhhuh:

Also if you can't remember the quote in full but can remember part of it, then paraphrase it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)