do i need chem for med (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I don’t even know why Australia lets that slide. Literally every other country has prerequisite of biochemistry at the least to even be the slightest considered for medicine. And yet somehow students who do eng E2 get into the course as If someone is gonna create an essay on ‘how identity is proposed in your progressive lung cancer’ or ‘how the themes of emotion is expressed in your pancreatic cancer’ for a patient lmfao

kkk579

hello
HSC
I don’t even know why Australia lets that slide. Literally every other country has prerequisite of biochemistry at the least to even be the slightest considered for medicine. And yet somehow students who do eng E2 get into the course as If someone is gonna create an essay on ‘how identity is proposed in your progressive lung cancer’ or ‘how the themes of emotion is expressed in your pancreatic cancer’ for a patient lmfao
Hold on don’t u end up learning everything in uni anyways

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
i don't (and would never) take chem but do they even test the effects of chemicals on the human body ? if so, what's the point? just being able to name the chemicals or something ???
We’re talking about a human body here lmfao. No shortcuts.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I understand if people who want to go to med don’t do biology as a subject bc 80% of that content is ecology anyways and probs doesn’t even really relate so much for medical content. but chem is a completely different story.

kkk579

hello
HSC
If chemistry is a big part of studying medicine in university and OP doesn’t like it i’m confused as to why he/she would wanna pursue medicine as a career anyways lol.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
If chemistry is a big part of studying medicine in university and OP doesn’t like it i’m confused as to why he/she would wanna pursue medicine as a career anyways lol.
Most likely high pressures from parents. (This disorder usually common in Asian households)

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
i was asking if hsc chem tells you the effects of chemicals on the human body
Knowledge from the hsc course can be used as a precursor to understand content in a medical context. Additionally, I believe there is also emphasis of biochemistry in the course so yes.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
This precursor knowledge is content heavy, so reviewing this content in a medicine context without this knowledge is going to be a substantially difficult, given you may be forced to learn additional content to understand that content

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I understand if people who want to go to med don’t do biology as a subject bc 80% of that content is ecology anyways and probs doesn’t even really relate so much for medical content. but chem is a completely different story.
bro I think you finished year 9 last year so I’ll let it slide, but bio’s hsc course is not 80% ecology lmfao. the course is half genetics and the other half disease (and while I’m not aiming for med stuff like that is pretty useful for med), the year 11 course only I would say around only mod 3, and mod 4 which is boring and most of which my school didn’t bother teaching because it was irrelevant year 12 anyways. mod 1 and mod 2 look at cells and body systems with which i would say would help with med.

people who want to do med do physics over bio purely for scaling and because it helps with mx2 and some of mx1 (which a lot of them are taking). even so, around a good chunk of people in my school aiming for med are taking bio over physics.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
but going back to the general topic, I find it strange that chem isn’t a prereq. I feel it should be for the reasons already mentioned

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
bro I think you finished year 9 last year so I’ll let it slide, but bio’s hsc course is not 80% ecology lmfao. the course is half genetics and the other half disease (and while I’m not aiming for med stuff like that is pretty useful for med), the year 11 course only I would say around only mod 3, and mod 4 which is boring and most of which my school didn’t bother teaching because it was irrelevant year 12 anyways. mod 1 and mod 2 look at cells and body systems with which i would say would help with med.

people who want to do med do physics over bio purely for scaling and because it helps with mx2 and some of mx1 (which a lot of them are taking). even so, around a good chunk of people in my school aiming for med are taking bio over physics.
Yeah I knew someone was gonna say smn about my age, which is fair enough. Yeah I exaggerated tf out of hsc bio w it’s ecology which is my b. But my whole premise there was to establish that biology while is a massive factor in med (obviously) it can be easily picked up rather than a much more logical and theory heavy topic such as chemistry. And it’s not just the scaling that people do physics rather than bio (that aspire to do med), you gotta think about the pain of doing 2 modules of ecology in yr 11 😢. Additionally, those topics that you’d do in yr 12 will be directly reviewed in med school anyways so no substantial advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)